Advice-Housing&Strobe for a tough8000??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AllanHarr

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to purchase a housing and strobe for my Oly Tough 8000. Has anyone had any successes, failures, or just some good advice before I take the plunge.

At this point, I'm planning on an Ikelite housing but not sure what strobe to use...

Thanks!

Allan
I would consider either going with the Ike DS-51 set up, or the Inon S-2000 strobe. Both are great. The Ike will require the TTL sensor accessory in order to work, or you can also go with the manual controller.

If you are on a real budget, take a look at the Ikelite Af35 which is small, compact and ready to go out of the box! We have some great deals on them as well as we have two open box kits.

Don't use the Olympus Housing....Latches on dome port are defective and I flooded a camera. Now I'm using an Ikelite housing that I purchased from a Scubaboard member. Housing has performed flawlessly over a year....the Ikelite housing is so basic in design

I bought the OLY housing when I purchased it originally. Didn't really know any other choices were out there when I purchased it. I have had no problems with it. I have the UF-1 strobe. It is OK but I DEFINETLY would be sure you have a tray with a side arm to get the stobe away from the camera. If you don't---major backscatter in your photos.

Funny. I have had similar experiences. My 20+ year old Ike housing still is tight to 100feet. My newer Oly housing for an older 5050 camera has been nothing but problems... and Oly is LOUSY at customer service. (Parts become obsolete and Oly stops supporting the housing quickly). I'll be happy to go back to an Ike housing...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom