Name of white thing on front of Olympus housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tricia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A strange question folks:

My PT-030 housing flooded on a dive trip last fall :( and I took it to the repair shop. They returned it and I don't know if it's them or me, but the white plastic thing on the front of the camera that "blocks" the flash is missing. I'm pretty sure I have to have it or the flash won't work properly by itself - or trigger a strobe. I'm chasing up with the shop (they're in Paris and I'm in Normandy, France), but I fear I will have to track down this part myself.

Does anyone know what that part is called? A "flash reflector"? A "flash diffuser"? Something else?

Any help you can give is appreciated!

Thanks!
Trish

A strange question folks:

My PT-030 housing flooded on a dive trip last fall :( and I took it to the repair shop. They returned it and I don't know if it's them or me, but the white plastic thing on the front of the camera that "blocks" the flash is missing. I'm pretty sure I have to have it or the flash won't work properly by itself - or trigger a strobe. I'm chasing up with the shop (they're in Paris and I'm in Normandy, France), but I fear I will have to track down this part myself.

Does anyone know what that part is called? A "flash reflector"? A "flash diffuser"? Something else?

Any help you can give is appreciated!

Thanks!
Trish

It is called a "Diffuser" or "Flash diffuser". You are correct.

The diffuser will spread and soften the strobe light from the camera. It can also reduce the amount shadowing from the lens barrel. Though it won't eliminate it if you are focusing to less than 15cm or so. If Olympus cannot replace the diffuser, you could make your own from a piece of thin translucent plastic. While I know where to find such material in the U.S. I couldn't begin to advise you about where to look in France.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom