Advice on strobe and support arm for PT-047

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sickticket

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I picked up a Tough 6000/PT-047 last summer and have had wonderful results. Spent a week in Key Largo, did 26 dives and the camera was flawless except.............I now realize I need flash support. I got some great shots but I know I can do better.

Need suggestions on what strobe to get and the support equipment for it. I'm just a beginner in the underwater photo area so looking for a nice set up but not to break the budget.

Thank you all in advance.
Sickticket

I just got a new INON S-2000. It's very small, will pretty much fit in the palm of my hand. Since it's only got 1 flash tube it's not going to have the coverage the big boys do but within 4ft I should be fine. I mainly need the strobe for macro and close-up wide angle.

So if you need somethiing really strong I'd look at the INON 740 or D-2000. This is my 3rd INON strobe, I love their quality, performance and reliability.

The Tough series works well with the Inon D or S2000 as well as Sea&Sea 110a. I opted for the D2000 only because I got a killer deal otherwise it was the S2000.
As for tray's and arms I use ULCS. They support the D really well and I've seen the 'plastic knuckle' arms break to many times.
Spend some time talking with the folks at Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros a wealth of information.

I just got a new INON S-2000. It's very small, will pretty much fit in the palm of my hand. Since it's only got 1 flash tube it's not going to have the coverage the big boys do but within 4ft I should be fine. I mainly need the strobe for macro and close-up wide angle.

So if you need somethiing really strong I'd look at the INON 740 or D-2000. This is my 3rd INON strobe, I love their quality, performance and reliability.

The internal camera flash will work up to a few feet. If you are only gaining 1 foot, that is not much gain IMO. What Guide Number is INON S-2000?

Bruce

Suggestion, yeah, break the budget, and buy the best strobe you can afford the FIRST time out, instead of buying a $200 strobe, then a $500 strobe, then finally buying a good $800-1000 strobe to be happy in the long run.

Same with your arms, I LOVE my ULCS arms, where they cheap? no, will the last me a lifetime, YES!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom