PT-EP06 versus PT-EP06L for E-PM1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeeParrish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm moving to an Olympus E-PM1 and I'm trying to decide on the housing. I see two options for this camera, either the PT-EP06 (no lights), and PT-EP06L (with LED lights). The PT-EP06L is $200 more than the non-lighted version, but since it's already set up for a 67mm threaded accessories you don't need the ~$45 Macro adapter that is needed for the non-lighted version. And based on reading the users manual the PT-EP06L seems to include a shading ring, so that's another ~$50 item that isn't needed. Since I expected to need both of these that makes the net difference in price about ~$110, and from what I understand the PT-EP06L can use wet mount wide angle lenses where the non-lighted version can't, even with the 67mm adapter. I hear the LEDs aren't really useful as focus aids, they are pretty weak, but I guess they can't hurt anything, and can always be turned off. While you can use the PT-EP06 (unlighted) with a wider lens such as the 9-18mm zoom, with the flat port I haven't heard any good results and it seems that to use any wide angle lens properly you need a dome port such as the Zen, so that would be true of either of these housings.

Are there any other downsides or upsides to the PT-EP06L lighted version versus the unlighted version that I'm missing? I'm not worried about using the internal strobe, I have a YS-02 I'll be able to use, so while I hear the PT-EP06L comes with a diffuser for the internal strobe, I doubt i'd use it unless as a backup. And while I think everyone would agree that for best wide angle having a dome and wide lens is probably better than a wet lens for quality, it's also not as flexible as you can't change during a dive, and the cost is signifcantly more at ~$1100 for the dome and lens combo. A wet lens is probably between $500 to $550, so about half for either an Inon UWL-100 28M67 Type 2, or an Olympus PTWC-01.

Anything else I'm missing?

Personally, unless all you are going to shoot is macro, I think the PT-EP06 is a much better value. The lights on the "L" model are useless and in the way. For the difference in price there area number of good focus lights for less money. If you really do want to shoot macro, then I would get the Zen PEN macro port for around $300 and get the 45mm Pany macro lens. A diopter on either Oly housing doesn't yield the best results., although with the holder they seem to be as good on the 06 as the 6L.

I don't think you'll get very good results with an external w/a lens on a mirrorless DSLR. You will get a lot of chroma aberration, distortion and probably some vignetting. It is also an awkward setup to shoot. Again, you are much better off putting the money into a Zen PEN dome port and the 9-18 lens.

the 6L does not support the 9-18 lens with it's standard port, but the 6 does...to a degree...

Jack

Thanks Jack, I really appreciate the insights. And it really boils down to paying an additional net $100 more up front for the ability to use wet wide angle lenses, which i don't own anyway. My longer term goal is to get a dome and a wide angle lens, hopefully before my big trip to the Pacific next year (25th wedding anniversary is a good excuse to go someone "nice" :). So for my immediate needs maybe the non-lighed version with an economical focusing light will work out better as the focus light will also be able to be used with the dome in the future. I guess the other thing to consider is that I can pick up the Zen dome any time and at least get more out of the kit lens, then buy the wide angle when I get the budget freed up.

The Olympus 60mm macro lens will fit in the PT-EP06. It will NOT fit in the PT-EP06L (the one with lights).

Samys Camera has both Set-ups for the same price. $499.00 both of these included the zoom gear.

Without Lights:
https://www.samys.com/p/Underwater-...th-Under-Water-Housing--Zoom-Ring/122980.html

With Lights:
https://www.samys.com/p/Underwater-...ht-Under-Water-Housing--Zoom-Ring/122986.html

I Purchased the one with lights from them. Only got it two days ago and havn't had a chance to get it wet yet. I'm still trying to decide what external strobe set-up I want to go with.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom