Olympus XZ-10 coming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MadBeaverDK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
According to the site 43rumors, there's a new Olympus XZ-10 compact on the way.

XZ-10 compact luxury model from Olympus? | 43 Rumors
(FT5) New Olympus 75-300mm MFT lens and XZ-10 (with specs) coming at CP+ | 43 Rumors

It's supposed to be equipped with an f/1,8-2,7 lens and be smaller, lighter and cheaper than the XZ-2.

It's probably not going to happen, but it would be awesome if Oly were to use a 1 inch sensor like in the Sony RX100. A camera like that with an Olympus made housing with a price tag similar to the PT-050/PT-054 would be a killer combo.

I'm looking for an upgrade to my XZ-1/PT-050 camera and housing. The XZ-2 is to chunky, as I'm going to use the camera topside to as a walk-around supplement to my DSLR. I would really like to go with the Sony RX100, but the Nauticam housing is just to expensive and the Ikelite to chunky and Ikelite-like with all the usual disadvantages.

Looking forward to more info on the XZ-10.

hi there, I'm currently looking to get a XZ-1/PT-050 combo, would like to hear your main gripe about the setup. Thanks in advance!

I reckon the Sony RX100 has set the bar so high in compact cameras that other manufacturers are going to be scrambling to produce new models that will match it or better it. Now that it has been shown you can have a large sensor with heaps of megapixels in a camera barely bigger than a Canon S110 others are going to have to catch up or lose sales. It would certainly be great if Olympus bring out a model that has everything the RX100 has and more, especially given that Olympus would no doubt consider the underwater market and produce an economical housing for it (hopefully with wet lens capability).

Well, the RX100has some limitations. I know as I had it. First it has lousy macro capability. If you want to get anything close, you must have diopter, and if you want to do super macro, you will need to stack diopters. Second, the lens is low at the long end. Not too big of a deal, but it was one of the compromises they had to make to fit everything into that form factor. Lastly, as an OMD user, I could never get used to the controls. As a dive camera, that was not going to work for me.

I have the XZ-2 now for a dive camera and it seems like it will work better for me. Menue's and controls are identical to the OMD, macro is much better than the RX100, it works well with the S&S YSD1, and the Olympus housing was way less expensive than the Nauticam housing for the RX100.

If I needed the camera for other uses, certainly I would have considered keeping the RX100. It has a better sensor, but the Raw files out of the XZ-2 are pretty good. Not as good as my OMD, but a significant improvement from the Canon G10 I used before.

I own and really like the Sony RX100 but as mentioned Macro is its "weakness". For WA add a good wet lens and it is on par with many DSLRs, IMHO. Oly claims because of their faster glass the XZ-2 can render shots as good as the RX100 with it's bigger sensor but slower glass. For those that lean to shooting Macro the XZ-2 maybe a better fit. One note when the XZ-2 is in Super Macro mode the flash is disengaged, so in essence it is a non-feature for underwater shooting.

As for the XZ-10, there will be a girly version and a standard version:
First images of the XZ-10 compact camera. | 43 Rumors
(UPDATED FT5) First picture of the new 75-300mm. More pics from XZ-10 | 43 Rumors

The price (399 euro) and the girly version kind of kills the hope of a high-spec enthusiast compact. Maybe the XZ-3 (if it's made) will be the answer to that hope.

@nikefreeekz: When the XZ-2 was announced I summed up the stuff that bothered me or things I wished would be improved:

• I hope they fixed the weird pre-flashes that made the XZ-1 incompatible with Sea & Sea strobes (like the ys-110a) in TTL mode.
  • Make the flash available in super macro mode.
  • Faster autofocus.
  • Easier custom white balance adjustment. The "one-touch" white balance on the xz-1 was more like "5-touch". Maybe the "fn" button will help with this.
  • Ability to set custom white balance at depths below 10 m/33 feet.
  • Less noise at ISO 400 and above.
  • Better video mode. Especially I hope they fixed the focus hunting.
  • Very wishfull thinking: Ability to set shutter speed with rear control wheel in M-mode (and ability to control rear control wheel with the Oly housing.)

I never tried the XZ-2, so I don't know if Oly fixed/improved any of the above.

Well with the XZ-2 I believe that Olympus did fix the flash issues. It works very well with my Sea&Sea YSD1.

Supermacro does not work with flash still. Not sure that is such a big deal to me, but might be to some users. Standard macro focuses way closer than anything the RX100 can do.

Lastly, no the Olympus housing does not give control to the rear dial. That has not been to big of an issue as the front control has access to so much.

The XZ-2 will be a distant second to the RX100 for many users. However, the RX100 is much more expensive to get underwater as the housing is much more expensive and you must have a macro adapter if you like the small stuff.

Specs are up

Olympus XZ-10
- 12 Megapixel sensor (1/2.3 inch)
- 26-130mm f/1.8-2.7 lens
- Fixed grip.
- About 40% more compact XZ-2 and weight of 221gram
- 11 different art filters, effects of five art
- Touch AF shutter
- Media: SD/SDHC/SDXC
- 920,000 dot 3 inches LCD monitor, touch panel
- Full HD video
- Price 399 Euro
- Late February release

Source: (FT5) Some more 75-300mm lens info (and XZ-10 specs) | 43 Rumors

It doesn't have a large sensor, but it's considerably smaller than the XZ-2.
It has a 5x zoom though, so it will be interesting to see how far the lens travels. Too far lens travel ruins the ability to use WA wet lenses without vignetting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom