TG-1 for snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jnunn04

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife got a great deal on the TG-1 and was excited because it the paperwork stated it was waterproof to 40ft. I highly doubt it without a housing, but that's another issue....

She is going on a cruise with a girlfriend (I'm currently out of the country for a while). Although she is certified, she was going to be nice and go snorkeling with her friend and use it to take pictures.

Will this camera REALLY be OK to snorkel in the ocean without a housing? I highly doubt she will go down more than a few feet and nowhere near 40 ft. I have told her to check the O Ring on the battery compartment, etc before going out.

Last edited:
I own one myself and have yet to test it, however I do not think they(Olympus) would make a claim without it being true. I was told by an owner of an earlier model tough camera(sorry that I can't remember the model number) that they had used theirs for snorkeling. This camera wasn't rated as deep either, 30' I believe.

This camera has no troubles with that. I have one too and have used it for snorkeling up to -6m. It does tend to make blue pictures as you get deeper (duh!) and a red filter is a nice addition. The optional housing is waterproof to 40m, wich is good enough for recreational diving, however i would recommend extra lighting.

Safe diving,

Aquatic Tom

TG-1 is a great camera and I never had a problem with mine flooding even when I took it to 36'.
I received a TG-2 as a gift and its supposedly waterproof to 50' but I haven't had it that deep yet.

I have one, and yes it is good to 40ft without the housing, 147ft with the housing. Also use a magic filter to fight off the blues :-D

Olympus

Tough TG-1 iHS Digital Camera

• First Rugged Camera with Fast f/2.0 Lens
  • Durability and Outstanding Image Quality
  • Full 1080p HD Video
  • 3.0" OLED Monitor with Surface Coating
  • TruePic VI Image Processor
  • Waterproof to 40 Feet
  • Shockproof to 6.6 Feet
  • Crushproof to 220 Lbs.
  • GPS, e.compass and Manometer Functions
  • Converter Lens Compatibility