WA wet lens for Oly 12 - 50?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Linder

Registered
Reaction score
To all of you who helped me out in my previous thread, thank you again! This board really makes investment decisions so much easier.

When researching the 12-50 mm lens for the OM-D there is a lot of talk about macro wet lenses but I can't seem to find any relevant info regarding WA wet lenses. I really love the idea of using this lens as an all purpose and would love it if someone knows if there are any WA wet lenses on the market that will work with it?

Hello Linder.
The problem you have with the port for the 12-50 is the diameter of the thread. Being a 77mm you will have to use an adapter to take it to 67mm. This adapter will; put the lens too far forward and that will introduce chromatic aberration and potentially some vignetting when used with a wet wide angle.
I'm experimenting with a solution using the Nauticam macro port 65 for the Olympus 60mm macro.
I haven't been in the water yet but will do some tests next Sunday.
It is a half way solution because you will not have the option to use the zoom so you have to preset the camera before the dive to either macro or wide (14mm)
The tests I've don on land are very encouraging and I think it will be an inexpensive solution to start using the OMD underwater.

Hello Linder.
The problem you have with the port for the 12-50 is the diameter of the thread. Being a 77mm you will have to use an adapter to take it to 67mm. This adapter will; put the lens too far forward and that will introduce chromatic aberration and potentially some vignetting when used with a wet wide angle.
I'm experimenting with a solution using the Nauticam macro port 65 for the Olympus 60mm macro.
I haven't been in the water yet but will do some tests next Sunday.
It is a half way solution because you will not have the option to use the zoom so you have to preset the camera before the dive to either macro or wide (14mm)
The tests I've don on land are very encouraging and I think it will be an inexpensive solution to start using the OMD underwater.

Thanks for the reply Mario! I am thinking about going with the 4" semi-dome and the austrian zoom-gear and a +10 subsee diopter. This means good WA and good Macro, the rig wouldn't excel at either but absolutely be a "jack of all trades"..

Was teaching las Sunday and took the opportunity to test the 12-50 on the macro port 65 with a wet wide angle lens.
I used the Inon UWL H100 M67 type2 and not having a zoom gear for the lens I decided to set it to 14mm (28mm equivalent which is the focal length the Inon lens is designed to work at).
The en results are not bad however some chromatic aberration is present. Nothing that can't be fixed in post production.
Here are some examples:
11973_10151601767930631_1187871035_n.jpg

72110_10151601767345631_767123305_n.jpg

733948_10151601766120631_774420406_n.jpg
100% crop
531897_10151601766715631_571508936_n.jpg

Was teaching las Sunday and took the opportunity to test the 12-50 on the macro port 65 with a wet wide angle lens.
I used the Inon UWL H100 M67 type2 and not having a zoom gear for the lens I decided to set it to 14mm (28mm equivalent which is the focal length the Inon lens is designed to work at).
The en results are not bad however some chromatic aberration is present. Nothing that can't be fixed in post production.
Here are some examples:
View attachment 153224

View attachment 153223

View attachment 153221
100% crop
View attachment 153222

Very interesting! Culd you estimate how much wider you get at 14mm + uwl compared to 12mm behind flatport?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Linder.
The Inon UWL H100 has a conversion factor of 0.60 and gives you about 100 degrees of FOV which is about what you get with a 20mm (35mm equivalent.
The 12-50 is a 24-100 equivalent and you have to consider the refraction caused by the flat port. In salt water the refractive index is about 1.33 so your 12mm becomes a 15.96mm equivalent to a 32mm
The FOV of a 35mm lens is 65 degrees compared to the 100 degrees the Inon would give you.
IMHO the options complement each other very well.

Hi Linder.
The Inon UWL H100 has a conversion factor of 0.60 and gives you about 100 degrees of FOV which is about what you get with a 20mm (35mm equivalent.
The 12-50 is a 24-100 equivalent and you have to consider the refraction caused by the flat port. In salt water the refractive index is about 1.33 so your 12mm becomes a 15.96mm equivalent to a 32mm
The FOV of a 35mm lens is 65 degrees compared to the 100 degrees the Inon would give you.
IMHO the options complement each other very well.

Thanks Mario! I have the Austrian zoom gear so I wouldn't have to lock the lens at 14 and it would definitely give me some extra angle on the wide side then. Most interesting.

Last edited:
I've been playing around with a gear Alex Mustard lent me last week, it makes the system very versatile, you will love it.

I've been playing around with a gear Alex Mustard lent me last week, it makes the system very versatile, you will love it.

Mario! My rig is coming together quite well but still undecided regarding the UWL-100. Have you had a chance to take it diving some more? Would love to see more photos.

Back
Top Bottom