60mm macro behind Zen WA-100 port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris196

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently took a trip to Fiji. I shoot an EPL2 in the oly housing with the Zen WA-100 port and a single Inon D2000. I use 3 lens behind the port, the 60mm macro, the 9-18 and occasionally the kit 14-42 but mostly the 60 and 9-18.
I really liked the combo. No port changes, I didn't even bring the flat port with me.
I was happy with the 60mm. Here are few shots from the trip with the 60mm.

IMG_0255.jpgIMG_0285.jpgIMG_0254.jpg

Last edited:
No, I haven't compared results with the flat port. Not sure of your familiarity with this housing and port system, but changing ports is a little bit of effort. It's not terrible, but not a 1 minute operation either. Also, I really try to keep my travel profile as small as possible. So, one of the big appeals for me was macro and WA (100 degree view) without changing ports.

As far as whether it degrades macro performance I'm not qualified to answer that question.
I'll just say I was very happy with the macro results. Those pics in full resolution are very nice for me.

I use the Nauticam 4" dome port for 60mm macro as well. Quite happy - don't see any issue with the quality. Indeed, the magnification will reduce 25-30% which is not a problem since this lens is quite powerfull for most of common macro object.
According to some article, the IQ macro with dome port will be slightly better than flat port since less water to the object. google macro with dome port, you will find many information.
often I get the advantage of this reduce magnification allow me to take bigger object.
here few shots taken from my last trip

Nudibranch 1 Lembeh by Wisnu Purwanto Family, on Flickr

Crocfish eye by Wisnu Purwanto Family, on Flickr

Lembeh Transparent shrimp by Wisnu Purwanto Family, on Flickr

it will be more difficult if I used flat port to shoot this fellows with 60mm. Almost 1 meter distance, still not able to put all in the frame

Cel Moray Eels by Wisnu Purwanto Family, on Flickr

Thanks for the replies. That clears up a question I had.

I have an E-PM1, 14-42mm II lens, with the Oly housing (?PT-06) and a Zen dome. Only one dive week with it, pondering a macro lens.

My previous experiences have been with external mount wet wide angle lenses. Could pop the lens off for flat port macro shooting. Those lenses were not optimal for macro shooting.

If you want to shoot macro, get the 60mm you won't regret it.
I assume you have the Zen WA-100 like I do. If so, it should work fine and not changing ports is very nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom