ZEN Underwater DP-170 optical glass port with Panasonic 7-14 zoom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PHIL RUDIN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just returned from Digital Fiesta in Cozumel Mexico where I was using the new ZEN 170mm optical glass dome port with the Nauticam NA-EM5 housing and the Nauticam NA NEX5R housings. The attached photos show the port on the NA-EM5 housing with the 20mm extension using the Panasonic 7-14mm zoom at 7mm. The three photos attached are at ISO-200 and 1/250th sec. Diver F/5, red whip sponge F/9, sponge F/14. On the Sony Snapper forum below is a shot with the Sony 10-18 zoom at 10mm on the Sony NEX-5R, Zeiss 12mm thread.

Digital Fiesta dates are being set for April 2014 and I encourge all to attend and enjoy the diving and photo workshops. We had 40+ for this years eight day event and will expand to two eight day events next year with packages for one or both week long workshops. Check the Mexicandiver.com site for dates and cost for the 2014 workshops. Lots of Olympus gear is on hand to tryout.

Phil Rudin PHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-4220344.jpgPHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-4250755.jpgPHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-4250879.jpgPHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-4110010.jpgPHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-4110006.jpg

C'mon, Phil, give!!

We want your impressions of the edge quality of the Zen compared to the Nauticam port for the 7-14.

Glad to see you are back in action.

We will be diving up there on Thursday off the Kylami.

at last a glass dome port for teh 7-14mm ! No scratches ....
how does this dome compared to teh std nauticam one in terms of stability and side (seems this one is shorter but wider)
also ... pricing ?

The big upside to the 170mm port besides being made of the highest quality optical glass is that it can be used for more than one lens by adding and removing extension ports. The Nauticam 7-14 port more of a one lens only port. Since both ports are about the same size image quality in regard to the corners is going to be about the same. I like that pack this port in a Rubbermaid container and stand it on its side in a carrry-on bag, taking up less space than the Nauticam port. This port would be my first choice but to answer Guy's question you will not see large differences in image quality between the two ports with the 7-14 zoom.

To Stargost the port is shorter and a bit wider even with the 20mm extension for 7-14 zoom mounted to the housing. Not sure what you mean by stability but the package is very well balanced and I found no difference V. the Nauticam other than the small weight difference between glass and plastic.

Tripntx, if you plan to use W/A lenses like the Olympus 12mm and 9-18 zoom, Panasonic 12-35 and others as well as the 7-14 this will be your best choice.

The ZEN 170mm port retails for $999.00 and the 20mm port extension for Mini which I also use with the Nauticam 45 port (for Panasoinc 45 macro) to fit the Olympus 60mm macro is $180.00.

So my travel package is ZEN 170mm port for 7-14 and 12mm, plus 20mm extension and the Nauticam 45 port for Panasonic 45 macro and Olympus 60mm macro. I can also use the 12-50 with the 45/20mm port system.

The ZEN 170mm port will NOT work with the Panasonic 8mm fisheye.

We also have the new dates for the 2014 Digital Fiesta workshops. We always have the latest Olympus stuff for the workshop guests to test. In 2014 we will be expanding the dates, April 12-19 and April 19-26th. We will have extra days of diving and advanced workshops for those attending both weeks. For information at mexicandiver.com

Phil Rudin

Thanks Phil, as always. For me, then, no need to upgrade anytime soon as I have been very happy with the 7-14 Nauti port and if I add anything new it would be the fisheye anyway.

Tripntx, if you plan to use W/A lenses like the Olympus 12mm and 9-18 zoom, Panasonic 12-35 and others as well as the 7-14 this will be your best choice.

The ZEN 170mm port retails for $999.00 and the 20mm port extension for Mini which I also use with the Nauticam 45 port (for Panasoinc 45 macro) to fit the Olympus 60mm macro is $180.00.

So my travel package is ZEN 170mm port for 7-14 and 12mm, plus 20mm extension and the Nauticam 45 port for Panasonic 45 macro and Olympus 60mm macro. I can also use the 12-50 with the 45/20mm port system.
Phil Rudin

Thanks for the information Phil. Seems ZEN 170mm port is what I need since I already own the panny 7-14mm and oly 12mm, plus I'm considering the panny 12-35mm. Buying the Nauti housing and 12/50 port w/gears was expensive, but it's time to dig a little deeper to get the ZEN to go with them.

Glad to see you are back in action.
Ditto, that bruise made ME hurt! Hopefully nothing residual.

---------- Post added May 11th, 2013 at 07:07 AM ----------

We also have the new dates for the 2014 Digital Fiesta workshops. We always have the latest Olympus stuff for the workshop guests to test. In 2014 we will be expanding the dates, April 12-19 and April 19-26th. We will have extra days of diving and advanced workshops for those attending both weeks. For information at mexicandiver.com

Phil, Let me know what week you go. Guy, you in? Anyone else?

Ditto, that bruise made ME hurt! Hopefully nothing residual.

---------- Post added May 11th, 2013 at 07:07 AM ----------

Phil, Let me know what week you go. Guy, you in? Anyone else?

We've always wanted to do Coz, but we are going to go in July when we can have a couple of days with the whale sharks along with the other diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom