Substitute the PT-05L housing for the PT-EP10?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan B.

Contributor
Reaction score
Or even earlier housings, I suppose.
I have the E-PL5 -- because I can afford it and because it's good -- and was wondering if the camera was similar enough to its forebear, the E-PL3, to fit in the E-PL3's PT-EP05L housing?
For the E-PL5's housing, the PT-EP10, Olympus removed the 67mm thread that graced the PT-05L and allowed one to use wet wide-angle adapters like the Inon UWL-H100 M67. The -10 now has greater diameter glass on the front port, but it's still flat glass, and that will inhibit the utility of the Zuiko 9-18mm wide angle lens, as well as the housing's flexibility. And, oh yeah, the cost.
I don't know if the E-PL1's housing, the PT-EP01, or the E-PL2's housing, the PT-EP03 -- dang that was hard to type -- has the 67mm thread that the -05L has, or if they could accommodate the E-PL5 as well, but I would like to know.

I'm 99% sure it will not work unless they used the exact same camera body to make the E-PL5 that they used for the 3. If you're lucky enough that you can get the camera to fit into the housing, it's highly unlikely that the buttons will line up right with the controls of the housing.

The housing for the E-PL1 does NOT have the threaded port (I have one and can assure you that it's not threaded), that was only on the housings with the led lights. For these other housings Oly made the PMLA-EP01 lens adapter that clips on over the lens port and gives you 67mm thread. But they suggest it for macro add on lenses and since it just clips on, I'd worry about it staying on with the weight of the Inon UWL lens.

The entire lens port of these housings is removable so that you can use the ZEN or Precision dome ports, which is where you'll get the best results for wide angle stuff with the 9-18.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom