housing for olympus e-p1 or the new e-p5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ksporry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Question for you. I currently got an e-p1 camera and I'm trying to find an affordable housing for it. Do far I've not been able to find any. We're any made for the e-p1?Alternatively, I'm considering getting the e-p5. But with the camera as new add it is, I haven't been able to find housing for that one either. Nor do I know if any are planned to be made. Can anyone enlighten me?

I was in the same boots with my E-PL5 half a year ago. The EP3 had a housing from 10bar. You might check, if the EP5 fits the E-p3 housing. You can also try asking the manufacturers (Nauticam, 10bar) but my experience says they don't like to communicate much with "noname" customers. (I am still waiting for an answer from 10bar on a support question on my new EPL5 housing)

I'm not surprised. Usually they won't reply or state they don't know my gf suggested they will always say yes to make you buy a new camera (eg in case of olympus), but I said that will result in lawsuits. They'll never say yes when the answer can be no. At least not via email.

By the way. There are plenty cases for the ep3 I think...

Are you asking if Olympus has a housing for EP1 and EP5 or if anyone will have such a housing?
Olympus has never made a housing for any of the cameras in the EPx line, so I wouldn't expect them to for the EP5.
The focus for them has been the EPL line of cameras and they also made a housing for the EPM1 and the EM5.

See their housings here:
Underwater Housings - Camera Accessories - Accessories | Olympus

How about other brands?

How about other brands?

As for the E-P1, there is a housing from Athena. If you read german if you read japanese...
It costs 2000+EUR without ports -> IMHO completely useless offer, considering the Nauticam OMD housing +CAMERA combo costs that much...

Do you consider the E-PL5 as well? same sensor, and there are 2 housings on the market (Olympus and 10bar).

How about other brands?

I don't know. I don't have an ep1 or ep5 nor do I plan on purchasing one.

When deciding on an underwater camera it's always best to identify the housings first for the cameras you are interested in, then proceed with camera & housing purchases. Not all cameras have housings available. I know that sounds incredibly obvious, but if you don't go into with that knowledge, then you run into trouble.

At least follow a product line which is well supported, otherwise you might wait forever... The epl-line is well supported, AFAIK all models had their housings so far.

When deciding on an underwater camera it's always best to identify the housings first for the cameras you are interested in, then proceed with camera & housing purchases. Not all cameras have housings available. I know that sounds incredibly obvious, but if you don't go into with that knowledge, then you run into trouble.

@chris yeah I kinda figured that. It's just that I don't want an omd but prefer the smaller ep5. I wouldn't use it solely for underwater stuff. I do quite a bit on the dry too, and the ep5 really appeals to me. I think the Japanese market might get an epl6, same thing with a few extras. Having said that, the omd and the ep5 are pretty much the same safe wifi, but that's coved with my eyefi card. So if all else fails, I might go for the omd plus case package.

ell, I'm just starting off (with diving, I've got 20 years of photography behind me...), so I might hold out a bit longer and await what September brings (photokina), and take it from there. There's a photography far in July in shanghai (where I'm now), they may have something to show...

of course I keep the epl5 in mind too:)))

If micro4/3, have you considered panasonic cameras?

@chris yeah I kinda figured that. It's just that I don't want an omd but prefer the smaller ep5. I wouldn't use it solely for underwater stuff. I do quite a bit on the dry too, and the ep5 really appeals to me. I think the Japanese market might get an epl6, same thing with a few extras. Having said that, the omd and the ep5 are pretty much the same safe wifi, but that's coved with my eyefi card. So if all else fails, I might go for the omd plus case package.

ell, I'm just starting off (with diving, I've got 20 years of photography behind me...), so I might hold out a bit longer and await what September brings (photokina), and take it from there. There's a photography far in July in shanghai (where I'm now), they may have something to show...

of course I keep the epl5 in mind too:)))

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom