Recommendations for New Olympus Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaKC

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Currently I have a Oly c5050 (5 MP and probably 8-10 years old) that is getting a little buggy. With the PT-015 housing and Ikelite substrobe. It has been a great camera and still takes excellent photos, but I would like to upgrade to something with more MPs and HD video. I've never had problems or leaking with the Oly housing and love that it fits so well. I don't think I want to go with a big dSLR, but still want a good camera with wide angle and macro options. Does anyone have recommendations for Olympus cameras? I saw the Olympus E-PM1 package in another thread, but I don't know much about the mirrorless systems. Thanks!

Epm1 is outdated. If you want to invest in something new make it something recent. The omd5 is indeed a norm setting camera, but for less weight and bulk you can get an epl5. I just got one yesterday to replace my ep1. I also ordered the nauticam case for it. The case is more expensive than the olympus case but it's rock solid! And nauticam has been getting good reviews so that's what I went for. I considered the omd5 too, but I got other similar camera like the fuji xpro1 which bleed the omd5 or if the water. Unfortunately there is no underwater housing for the xpro1. Also the selection of wide angle lenses for fuji is not so good.
Another reason for the epl5 was to have a small light camera that I can still use extraordinary lenses on but still have a tiny package for travel. The sensor is the same as the omd5 camera so iq will be great. (Sometimes a 5d2 is just too bulky and heavy)

What's your budget?

You're used to using a strobe. I doubt your current strobe will compliment any new camera so you will have to factor in a strobe or two, new tray and arms.

I have been looking at the EPL5 as well. My budget is under $2000 and I am thinking I want a strobe and possibly a focus light.

Bluewater Photo has a package OlyE-PL5, Oly housing and a Sea & Sea YS-D1 for $2265.
E-PL3 package with S&S YS-D1 for $2215
E-PL3 package with S&S YS-01 for $1970
There are also EPM-1 deals with a couple different strobe options.

Shop around at Bluewater Photo, Reef Photo, Backscatter, Optical Ocean Sales (there are others but that's who I use) see what they can offer.

If you want a compact XZ-2 for micro 4/3 OM-D
However no olympus camera offers AVCHD 50/60 p progressive they only have interlaced video 1080i which is dated
Still quality of the OM-D is impressive though

Those package prices are not bad actually. I'm getting a nauticam housing with the epl5 and the Panasonic 7-14 port. About 15k rmb in China, not counting the lens, which is about 2k2 us. Add one z240 for a third of that extra.

I have been looking at the EPL5 as well. My budget is under $2000 and I am thinking I want a strobe and possibly a focus light.

That basically leaves you only the e-pm1 as a choice. Any decent strobe will cost you around 500$, useable arm system+focus light another 200. My all-cheapest epl5 setup put me back 3000+ :(

I know, lots of people are recommending the OM-D. With the experience of a not-so-much-novice-anymore diver, I'd rather go DSLR (specifically D7100+Ikelite housing) instead at the same cost.

Last edited:
Hi ScubaKC,

When I buy a camera/housing there are a number of items that I consider - that may help you decide which set-up will work for you.

1. cost - new or buy used?
2. All the Olympus cameras mentioned in the thread (Epm1,epl-3 or 5 and em5) have a large number of lens that can be used/interchanged with these cameras - the question is - do want to be able to change lens often or do you want to have a general purpose lens that you won't change?
3. If you plan on using more than one lens - you may need multiple ports - how easy are they to change?
4. Check out the ergonomics - button placement and general feel of the housing (there is a brand of housing I won't buy cause I don't like the buttons/dials)

I personally own the EMP1 & EPL3 in Oly housings and the EM5 & nauticam housing. My own experience with Oly housings is they work great as long as you don't want to do change lens a lot that require port changes - port changes are difficult and Nauticam has a larger selection of ports. I recently bought the EM5 and Nauticam housing because I want to start using more lens which require different ports and Nauticam had a wide selection plus changing them is a breeze. The Nauticam housing also has a leak detector, is made from aluminum and has a number of other features too.

I use Inon strobes (z240) with the cameras and am very happy with them.
I use a Subsee +5 with the 14-42 kit lens for macro and for the 12-50 lens I use the macro mode on the lens.

Note - I bought both of my strobes used at about half the cost of new as well as my Epl-3 system - I have been very fortunate as all my used equipment still works well without any issues.

There are some of my Philippines pics posted on page 2 of this forum for the Epm1 system.

I hope this helps with your selection - remember there is more than cost to think about.

If you have any questions on the 3 systems let me know I would be more than happy to share my experience with the systems - buy the way - I have been very happy with the pictures taken with any of the 3 cameras.

Audrey

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom