Thinking out loud - Upgrading to the E-PL5 from the E-PL3 (modifying the Oly housing)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheTrickster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I know there are a few retailers / instructors on this board, who have to hand all the olympus equipment...

So....I was sat here, wondering if the housings for the E-PL3 and E-PL5 are the same shape and wondered if the rear door from the PT-EP10 would fit on the PT-EP05...??

Anybody looking to upgrade to the E-PL5 would then only need: the camera and the replacement rear door, instead of buying a full housing again...

For anyone who is interested, I'm getting a friend with a 3D printer to make up new 'fingers' for inside of the housing so all the buttons (there is 2 that don't work) work with the E-PL5 inside the PT-EP05 housing.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes. Get some pics so we can see how it works.

Will do! No idea how all this 3d printing works - but he assures me 'its easy'.....

On speaking with an Olympus service center, the rear door is not a serviceable part, nor is the housing itself, the ports are, but anything housing related they cannot get in.. :(

Sorry to hijack your thread but I have had another 3D Printing idea. I would like an attachment to go on the zoom gear control that looks like the shutter lever. The zoom gear is too hard to use and a lever would make it much easier to use to rotate. I had in mind a lever that would fit over the knob , not replace it, because the back surface of the knob is a sealing surface. So slip over the knob and then have a screw that screws in to hold it on the knob.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom