M Zuiko ED 9-18mm f4.5-5.6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Gulliver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I recently bought an E-PM1 with the 14-42mm kit lens and Olympus housing and am wondering whether to buy the 9-18mm lens. This lens is one of the lenses Olympus recommends for use with the E-PM1 and standard port. What I wonder is whether the zoom ring for the 14-42mm lens also fits the 9-18mm. Also, I would normally expect to use a dome port with a lens as wide as the 9-18mm. How well does the standard (flat) port work with this rather expensive lens? Grateful for any experience of use of this lens under water.

you'd be handcuffing that lens behind the standard port...it uses a different zoom gear if I recall correctly.

I am a huge fan of this lens. It is on my camera as much or more than the kit lens and I absolutely love it. Above water too, where it offers so much improvement for landscapes or indoor shots. It is very flexible and you will not regret it. You can sometimes find rebates from Olympus or Amazon.

{edit} yes it is the same zoom gear.

As far as FOV, Google for Zen Underwater WA100 dome. They have a side by side picture of the difference their dome makes.

Last edited:
The ORIGINAL 14-42 (kit lens to the E-PL1) uses a different zoom ring than the 9-18. It's replacements, the 14-42II and 14-42IIR, use the same ring as the 9-18. Your E-PM1 should have the II or the IIR

The part numbers are:
PPZR-EP01 is for the original 14-42
PPZR-EP02 is for the 9-18 and the 14-42II and IIR

Using the flat port you'll take a 25% hit on the wideness, so the 9-18 would essentially be a ~11-23

The Oly 9-18 lens and the popular Oly 60mm macro are both on sale with a $100 off instant rebate right now. The 60mm can be used in the standard flat port you already have. the 9-18 is best used with the Zen Pen dome.

Jack

Thanks all for the valuable information and advice. It seems I'm going to have to give up the idea of buying the 9-18mm as, with the added cost of a Zen dome port and customs duty and tax, the total outlay would be way above what I can afford. The 60mm macro lens at $400 would be within my budget if I could get it for that here in Europe but, once again, the problem is customs duty and tax if I buy from the US. I guess I'm going to have to settle for the macro adapter and wet dioptre I already own

why not just get the zen port now?....and get the 9-18 later. the zen port will benefit the kit 14-42mm as well. not by a huge margin but some...and you'll be ready for the upgrade down the road.

"Down the road" may not be far away for me :) I'm 75 years old and don't know how much longer I'll be able to dive, so I'm not ready to invest much more in u/w photo equipment. Every dive I do nowadays could be my last :( A zen dome and the 9-18mm lens would cost me around $1000 with shipping, customs duty and tax, which is more than twice as much as I paid for the camera, 14-42mm lens and housing. I've also spent money on a dual tray with grips, a strobe and EV controller, various adapters, a focus light (which doubles as a video light for close-up filming) and a more powerful video light (for filming from somewhat greater distances), as well as a macro adapter and wet dioptre, so I just don't want to spend a lot more.

Hi John, why not look at a Wet Lens, but a WA (Inon do one) and use it with the 14-42m you already have?

Diving at 75, you plenty left mate! :) Keep it up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom