XZ-1 and strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I know I've discussed this here before, and I've done some searching ... but it's been a while and I'd like to get some more recent feedback.

My traveling companion has an Olympus XZ-1 in an Oly housing. She owns a Sea & Sea YS-27DX strobe that doesn't appear to synch with this camera.

It appears from what I've read that the best solution would be to ditch the S&S strobe and purchase Inon ... apparently the Inon strobes have settings that synchronicity with this camera.

Does anyone out there use an XZ-1 with a strobe? If so, what type of strobe, and what settings?

My friend isn't really interested in using the camera in manual. She is happily an underwater tourist who just wants decent pictures she can show her friends. We're leaving in four weeks for Indonesia (Lembeh Straits & Rajah Ampat) and would like to get this problem figured out in time for her to do a couple local dives first with a working solution.

Recommendations are appreciated ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have a ys110 alpha and that works fine. I use it in manual , set the camera to 1/64 flash so its forced flash and it'll fire every time. TTL will not work with S&S strobes not the older ones anyway, D1 I think does but not 100% sure. I know mine fires everytime on forced.

Sent from my HTC One SV using Tapatalk 2

Are you using a sync cable? You can force the flash if you set it to Fill in regardless of the shooting mode. This should make the internal flash fire, and the cable will fire the strobe.

I have the internal flash masked out with tape on the housing so it can fire the strobe without affecting the exposure.

It's not my camera ... this is info I'm trying to get for a friend.

She uses an optical cable. She does not want to operate the camera in manual mode ... so that's not an option.

Are there any strobe options for this camera that will function using one of the auto or program modes?

Herb ... I'll check her settings ... not sure what you mean by Fill In, since this isn't my camera. But I'll check the menu and see if I can figure it out (and thanks for the info) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks Ron ... did you use an optical cable? What settings did you use for the flash?

And I wonder what the differences are between the older YS-27DX and the YS-01 ...

... Bob

If I remember correctly my wife used the Olympus UFL-1. She had no issues with this strobe

TTL doesn't work with xz-1 and Sea & Sea strobes, at least not the ones before the D1. That is because the xz-1 preflashes in some unconventional way.

I haven't tried it myself, but the Inon strobes should do fine.

The system chart at the Inon website indicates that the Inon flashes will work in Inon's STTL mode with the xz-1. However, it does indicate that in the standard position pictures will be slightly underexposed and suggests increasing the exposure to +0.7 to +1.0 EV. This is an easy adjustment to make on the flash and once it is made the flash is shooting in STTL mode without manual adjustments.

Back
Top Bottom