Ohhhh, Ahhhhhh New M43 mirrorless in February?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ConchyJoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
OK people in the know, spill the beans! My Birthday is in the sign of water, and Daddy needs a new BODY!

I'm guessing like the M10 but environmentally sealed.

Biggest image quality upgrades seem like the 40MP shooting mode using sensor shift and much better video bitrates. Rumors still have it pegged with the 16MP sensor, so I'd expect only minor improvements to noise/ISO/DR.

The 40MP mode is intriguing, although I wonder if the camera needs to be sitting on a tripod with a still scene for it to work. Can it be used hand-held? We'll see.

No 4K video is a disappointment, since it can be downscaled very nicely to 1080p or even used for still image capture at 8MP sizes. Still, the 5-axis stabilization is always impressive for hand-held video, so improving bitrates is at least something.

Looks like it might be a kit with a new 14-150 that is splashproof. But still slow (f4-5.6). Too bad they don't have a newer version of the 12-50mm.

Thx for the feedback.

Last edited:
Curious to find out more about the sensor shift and whether it will be meaningful underwater.

interesting

You can go to 43rumors.com and read the basic new spec's including what they call the high res. 40 MP feature. It combines eight photos taken while the sensor moves half pixel increments. Sounds great for landscape shooters using a tripod but not so sure it offer as much of an upside in a fluid environment, time will tell. This sensor shift technology has been used by Hasselblad to turn four 50PM images into one 200PM image but again a tripod would be needed for a crisp image. As noted above greatly improved video.

So the rumors can now begin for the E-M1 II.

Phil - as always thanks for weighing in.

It would seem that (video aside) there would be very little reason to chase this as an upgrade or even first purchase (over the EM1 given used vs. new pricing). I was hoping we were in for a meaningful sensor update.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom