Olympus C770 + Housing Question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

farkurnell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I'm slowly getting myself back into scuba, after 10yrs of recovering from a hit and run.

So I sold my Nikonos 15 years ago and cant afford a housing for my Canon gear... :(

Not being able to afford huge dollars, I have an Olympus C770 sittin at home, and saw a housing for it and bought it. Not a bad deal for $25.. Anyone used one for diving? Thoughts?

But it came with a funky coil that starts at a white thing velcro'ed onto where I believe the flash sits to some wire, onto another white block that should go somewhere Im sure - just NFI where...

Not a great description but anyone got any clues to what it maybe?

pt_022_1.jpg

Thanks
Bruce.

Last edited:
The coil is a fiber optic cable for flash photography. The camera flash travels through it to trigger an external strobe.

The coil is a fiber optic cable for flash photography. The camera flash travels through it to trigger an external strobe.

Cheers mate... so will any strobe work...??

Not all strobes will work. You should check with the strobe manufacturer to make sure it is compatible. If you contact a knowledgeable online store that deals in dive camera equipment they can help you choose a strobe that will work.

You will need some type of camera tray and arms to mount the strobe. It will be easy to tie up $500 or more on the strobe and related needs. My first experience was with an Olympus C-5050 camera. I had $100 in a camera and housing, and spent about $700 on a strobe and arms. Sounds crazy but without decent light you won't get very nice photos. If you plan well when you move up to a better camera you will still be able to use the same strobe.

Not all strobes will work. You should check with the strobe manufacturer to make sure it is compatible. If you contact a knowledgeable online store that deals in dive camera equipment they can help you choose a strobe that will work.

You will need some type of camera tray and arms to mount the strobe. It will be easy to tie up $500 or more on the strobe and related needs. My first experience was with an Olympus C-5050 camera. I had $100 in a camera and housing, and spent about $700 on a strobe and arms. Sounds crazy but without decent light you won't get very nice photos. If you plan well when you move up to a better camera you will still be able to use the same strobe.

Great info, thanks.. Yep understand the requirement for good light down below :)

I have plenty of Canon gear but cant afford a housing for the 5D at moment..

I might be better off scrapping this idea and going with a complete setup already to go with a later camera..

Might check see what I can find. Appreciate your help.

Back
Top Bottom