Olympus EM5 PT-EP08 Tray and handle options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divezilla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All

I"m curious what others have used for tray and handles for their Olympus EP08 housing.

In particular, the right hand tray handle.

The EP08 is designed to be held like a camera, and most of the handle options I've looked seem like they would cramp or interfere.
Pics or references would be great !!

Actually, when using most compact / mirrorless housings and trays, I would still use my right hand to hold on to the actual housing, while the tray will be used to mount the lights and a left hand grip.
When choosing a tray you just need to make sure you have enough space left on the right side to stick your hand between the housing and the tray grip comfortably.

Hi Ran,
I agree 100%.
The housing works best when you grasp it with the right hand.
Similar for the left hand and the zoom control.
But you still need a right hand grip to mount your strobe. It can get in the way, or make the rig off-balance if it's pushed to far to the right.
The Naticam EM5 housing has the same issue.

Which is why I was curious how others had done theirs.

Do you mount two strobes on yours ?

I have an E-M5 with the Olympus housing. I use a ULCS TR-SBLD tray with two handles for my strobes and it works pretty well. I can hold the left side by the tray handle, and get my right hand between the handle and the housing so I can grip the housing while taking photos. My handles are bolted about an inch in from the sides of the tray.

I had a ULCS TR-DUP with two handles that worked well with my E-PL1, but it does not have enough space for me to get my right hand between the handle to grip the camera with the E-M5.

I used this one with the Nauticam E-M5: Mozaik - Uni-Tray Dual Locline Arm package - Fits all housings
Positioned the camera all the way to the left until the zoom know almost touched the grip. That way I could hold on to the grip and still reach the zoom knob, leaving enough space on the right side for my hand on the grip of the housing.
I used a similar one with a slightly longer tray for the Olympus E-M5. BTS offer several tray sizes and the kit is very modular.
There is also a ball & joint version: Mozaik - Uni-Tray Dual Ball Mount Tray - Fits all housings

I mounted two strobes on this and a video light on the cold shoe / or on the optional ball mount on the side of the grip.

I ended up using an I-Das tray my LDS had.
http://i-divesite.com/product_arm_hdtray03.html
It's not purple. ;-) It works well, and I like the rigid top rail for handling and mounting.
There housing mounts very firmly with two thumb screws.
Used some neoprene and waterproof tape for softer handles.

20150613_215436405_iOS.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom