Olympus C-4040 and PT-010 housing review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I finally got to get this new set-up in the pool yesterday. Without the camera, the case is quite bouyant but with the camera and counter-balance bar in place, it's just a hair negative. Just enough that it will s-l-o-w-l-y sink.

Without the tray and strobe, it's very easy to hold with one hand. My right index finger needs to be about --- that much longer to reach the shutter lever AND the zoom lever without repositioning my hand. But it's not that big a deal.

It's hard to see what mode you are in but I think the more familiar I get with the camera itself, it won't be a problem. At one time I switched to shutter priority, I thought, and actually took about 45 sec. of video!

I don't have the strobe yet so all the pictures I took were with the internal strobe. With the light sensitivity of the lens, the aperatures I learned for film doesn't compute equally but again, that will just be a matter of practice.

What amazed me the most was being able to zoom in for macro shots. Unlike my old S&S camera that used a macro lens with framer, the housed lens can't be closer than 8 in. to the subject. But with the zoom you get right up close and personal. I'll spare ya'll the pictures of hair balls on the pool drains! Suffice it to say I could tell which hairs had been dyed and which hadn't!

I won't...and probably can't, go into all the technical stuff about this digital camera. I really don't care HOW it does what it does! Just as long as it keeps doing it, I'll be happy. :wink:

I can hardly wait for the next 6 weeks to pass until our Roatan trip. In the meantime, I'll practice changing the settings until it is second nature. I'll also be ordering a new mask with bifocals... that little LED screen and these old eyes need some help! It'll also help me read my dive watch at depth, which I've been refusing to admit...hehe.

Thanks for the review, I am looking into this same setup myself. The info I have seen on the housing limits the depth to 90 ft.. Do you you feel that would really limit the package or is it just the manufacturer being overly cautious.

Thanks again

Originally posted by CAMPER
Thanks for the review, I am looking into this same setup myself. The info I have seen on the housing limits the depth to 90 ft.. Do you you feel that would really limit the package or is it just the manufacturer being overly cautious.

Thanks again

The depth limit was my only reservation about getting the PT-010. I think the 30m rating is a bit conservative by the manufacturer. I know of several divers who have had it well below that with no problems. But then again, a 30m limit won't effect me a whole lot as I usually stay shallower than that where are the neat stuff is. The only time it will be a problem is on deeper wreck dives...I may just have to stay around the crows nest! But I really don't anticipate any problems.

Here's a couple of macro shots from the pool...

Pool trash
5797_1369_1.jpg

Pool light
5797_1369_3.jpg

Way to go Dee, you'll find the buttons become second nature eventually.

Re: the depth - I have had mine to 100 + twice, but only by a few feet. I rarely if ever exceed 100. You will notice, however, a "cracking" feeling from the housing, even as shallw as 30 feet. I believe it's just the adjusting to the air pressure, and it is unnerving at first, but it should be fine. Just keep an eye on it.

THe other thing Ihave noticed is - even with proper greasing and checking the oring - the housing has a tendency to get minute quantities of water behind the oring. So, every time I open the housing I remove the oring and dry that grove with a towel.

Have fun

Chris

Dee,
Who makes the PT-010 housing? How do you like the C-4040? I'm real interested in getting either the C-3040 or the C-4040, but thought there was only one housing manufacturer for either camera. Thanks.

Ron

Originally posted by carlislere
Dee,
Who makes the PT-010 housing? How do you like the C-4040? I'm real interested in getting either the C-3040 or the C-4040, but thought there was only one housing manufacturer for either camera. Thanks.

Ron

Olympus make the PT-010 housing. That was the main reason I wanted it. It was made for the camera by the same manufacturer. It's also reasonable priced. If I decide to upgrade to a better camera, I won't have so much invested in a housing that would make it impractical to do so.

I bought mine from Japan Direct for $242 but with shipping it brought it back up to prices found elsewhere. One place I can recommend is Underwater Digital . Allen Cabrera has been great in answering all my many questions. I bought the Fisheye tray/strobe arm and S&S YS-90DX strobe from him at great prices.

I really like the C-4040 camera. It's small enough to be easy to handle but not so small it's hard to work. The controls are very intuitive once you learn the lingo and with the PT case, you have access to every camera function. I wish it used Compact Flash cards instead of Smart Media mainly because I already had CF for the Nikon and they are a bit sturdier. But that's more of a personal thing. The SM cards are working out great. Just make sure you get a SM USB card reader...it's much easier/faster to download the pics.

The manual is OK but on the CD that comes with it is an excellent manual that explains so much more. I can also point you to several web site with great info and tips on using the camera.

Go ahead and get the C-4040...you won't be sorry!

Deep photo opportunity:

This might make interesting thread. My favorite was the swim thru on Ghost Mountain in Grand Cayman. Its right on the edge of Rec depth.

I have to decide if the rare times are worth another grand for the housing.

Ed B

After reading your review, the one on Rodales AND playing with his Canon 510 and the Olympus housing in The Springs this weekend, Pearce sold the whole lot of it yesterday. He then promptly ordered the Olympus 4040, PT010 housing AND the Ikelite digital strobe.

I hope you're happy now!!! :wink:

Seriously... the pictures came out great, but we both saw the limitations of that setup. He didn't have to work too hard "selling" me on the new gear.

Everything will be here in the next week or so except the strobe, which is currently on back order. It's expected to be here in time for our Red Sea trip at the beginning of March, though. [crossing fingers hopefully]

BTW, what is that last shot of?

Your newly digital pal,

~SubMariner~

The new C40Zoom is smaller yet and the new housing for it PT-012 is cleared for 40m.

Like CAMPER I as still strying to make up my mind if the extra dosh for a 10Bar or DIV housing is worth it for those few dives beyond 40m. Unfortunately I bought the Sony DCS-85 which needs one of these housings and it is cheaper to buy the Olympus set up......

Jonathan

Originally posted by SubMariner
After reading your review, the one on Rodales AND playing with his Canon 510 and the Olympus housing in The Springs this weekend, Pearce sold the whole lot of it yesterday. He then promptly ordered the Olympus 4040, PT010 housing AND the Ikelite digital strobe.

I hope you're happy now!!! :wink:

Seriously... the pictures came out great, but we both saw the limitations of that setup. He didn't have to work too hard "selling" me on the new gear.

Everything will be here in the next week or so except the strobe, which is currently on back order. It's expected to be here in time for our Red Sea trip at the beginning of March, though. [crossing fingers hopefully]

BTW, what is that last shot of?

Your newly digital pal,

~SubMariner~

I'm extremely happy now...tell Pearce our plan worked! hehehe

I thought about the Ikelite digital strobe but delivery has been delayed several times and I didn't want to chance it not getting here in time for our trip. Plus, I've always had S&S strobes, know how they work and what to expect from them. I've never had an Ikelite strobe and since this one is brand new, there's no reviews on it. I decided to trust the old tried and true. Be sure to let me know what ya'll think about it.

That last shot was a macro of the globe on the pool light. The camera lens was about 12 in. from the globe. Beast calls it an Artsy-Fartsy picture!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom