New 5060 - your best advice for a novice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ohiodiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone, thanks to all of your posts and information, I have just purchased the 5060 with the oly housing. I've printed up the manual from the CD, and have been reading up. LOTS of info there - but here's where I'm looking for your help...

I'm heading for a trip to Roatan in about three weeks...and other than practice and playing with all of the settings, I'm looking for the top three things that I should know/do in order to have decent results with this set up.

If you knew then (when you first got your 5050 or 5060) what you know now, what are the three things you would focus on in that 275+ page manual in order to get the best results? By the way, I'm not using an external strobe for this trip - just the one built into the camera.

I know this is the place to get great advice - so what do you think?

Congrats, your gonna love it. Stuff the biggest cards you can find in it, it will hold 2, 512s. Get close, the internal strobe is only good for a couple feet at best. Learn your settings, as far as pic size and file type go. I use TIFF but lots sware by RAW. Using the 1200X1600, one 512 holds 108 pics. You have to reset each time you turn it on. If you don't Id love to hear how to do that part.....Finaly, SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT, it's diggi, just trash the bad ones!

Oh ya, if you use the S mode you can crank the shutter speeds up so the moving fish arnt so fuzzy. The control for that is in the back right where your hand wants to sit if using one handed so watch that. Also get a retractor to attach to your BC. The wrist strap is a pain in the arse!

ohiodiver:

I know this is the place to get great advice - so what do you think?

1. Buy insurance from DEPP. After 3 dives, I flooded my 5060 camera here in Oahu with a corner O ring not in place. DEPP = Divers Equipment Protection Plan. Make sure you cover your flash cards as well.

2. Store your O rings while traveling with your case in a zip lock bag so you can still seal your case.

3. Buy a makeup sponge applicator to clean the channel on your O ring grooves.

4. To get the most out of this board, make your questions as specific as possible.

5. Either buy Photoshop and learn how to adjust your color levels, OR learn how to manually set your white balance at different depths.

That is my hard earned real experience so far sans BS.

MVillanueva:
After 3 dives, I flooded my 5060 camera here in Oahu with a corner O ring not in place.
Hey MVillanueva, would you say that it was an operator error? I ask this because someone flooded theirs twice because the o-ring popped out of the corner. Any comments would be welcome.

Wildcard:
Congrats, your gonna love it. Stuff the biggest cards you can find in it, it will hold 2, 512s. Get close, the internal strobe is only good for a couple feet at best. Learn your settings, as far as pic size and file type go. I use TIFF but lots sware by RAW. Using the 1200X1600, one 512 holds 108 pics. You have to reset each time you turn it on. If you don't Id love to hear how to do that part.....Finaly, SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT, it's diggi, just trash the bad ones!

I'm kinda curious as to the difference between file types. I just use whatever is the default although I have played around with this but didn't see a real difference between using the different file types besides the file size. Of course I'm VERY new as well so I know I'm missing something. Is there a general difference between the different file types?

There are five? or six settings in the 5060. The diff is in the DPI. and ability to tweek them in PS. The lower resoulution settings use less memory but are rough looking when expanded. By going to at least SHQ or TIFF and downsizing the image size, you get plenty of memory and great pics. No need to be taking poster size pics IMHO, however at 1200X1600 you can still blow them up.

Wildcard,
There is a setting where you can keep all the settings you have entered. I am guessing that the steps would be the same as on my 5050, you press:
the OK button> Mode Menu> Set> and turn all reset off.
That should do the trick:wink:

MVillanueva:
1. Buy insurance from DEPP. After 3 dives, I flooded my 5060 camera here in Oahu with a corner O ring not in place.

:crying: :crying2: :crying:

ReyeR:
Hey MVillanueva, would you say that it was an operator error? I ask this because someone flooded theirs twice because the o-ring popped out of the corner. Any comments would be welcome.
Hope you don't mind me jumping in....
I can't comment on how it was put together, but when we opened the camera the corner was not in the track.
I'm still crossing my fingers that all will be ok because it flooded in the rinse bucket and not on the dive.
When mine flooded in was due to my error. I was using the wrong oring grease, it stretched, made the first dive (110'+) and blew out on the second dive in 3 feet of water....Now I have 2 5050's:D

Back
Top Bottom