software for editing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Life-Is-Good-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, i have a few question's and love this part of the form's, as there are awsome picture's every day posted by everyone, thanks!!

I bought a Oly 5060 and a PT20 housing recentely and i love this camera!!
I took 250 pictures in the recent key's trip we took, and find myself using the software that came with the camera editing the pictures and spending HOUR"S doing so, after 250 shot's i would say 40 came out nice, (for a noob ) and 2-3 came out awsome!! When i look at them i sit back and say, i shot that, no way!!

My question is what is everyone using say for under $200 to edit their pictures? I can't see spending over $1000 for the set up, and not investing into a good software for editing, after what im saw that can be done, i could't belive the result's with alittle "touch up " :)

Also i notice i get somtimes "particles" that show up, from what i read, is that from using the internal built in flash?

Is there any external flashes to start with that would help with lighting, but not be to advanced for me as i have so much to learn using this camera, but i have to say, the little i did know about it, some of the pictures really came out nice, i'll have to post some , thanks!!

FLTEKDIVER:
My question is what is everyone using say for under $200 to edit their pictures?
There's a bunch of sub $200 photo editors out there, the latest probably being Adobe's Photoshop Elements 3.0, it's a limited version of Photoshop but should do what you're looking to do very satisfactorily.
Also i notice i get somtimes "particles" that show up, from what i read, is that from using the internal built in flash?
It's probably backscatter, it's due to the fact that the flash is on the same plane as the lens so the particles are the flash being reflected back. With a good photo editor you can sometimes clone them out depending on the subject/background of the shot.

Another great package is JASC Paint Shop Pro 8. This has some great photo editing features. For underwater never use the automatic correction it does n't work. Do each bit manually and see the effect this is the best way!

Oh and its pretty cheap.

Hope this helps.

Dare I say, have a look around the net. You might just find something like photoshop 7 for free. I guess that is breaking the rules though. :wink:

jiveturkey:
Dare I say, have a look around the net. You might just find something like photoshop 7 for free. I guess that is breaking the rules though. :wink:
Where??? :eek:uttahere

Here is another vote for Adobe elements, I have the 2.1 and am very please with what I can do. Version 3 is now available and I just might upgrade (or wait for Christmas for CS to maybe go on sale again at Amazon).

jiveturkey:

Yes, it definately breaks the rules. There are some very unscrupulous sites who will sell you back-ups of most any program but there could be important components missing so it never works properly. At the very least it cheats the rightful developers.

With Photoshop Elements3 being released with an included RAW feature for around $100, there no reason to support and encourage the unscrupulous people out there.

I use GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program) www.gimp.org.
It is a open source image manipulation program. It is licenced under the GPL.

There is a windows version available on the web site, and it ships on most Linux distributions.

Dee:
Yes, it definately breaks the rules. There are some very unscrupulous sites who will sell you back-ups of most any program but there could be important components missing so it never works properly. At the very least it cheats the rightful developers.

With Photoshop Elements3 being released with an included RAW feature for around $100, there no reason to support and encourage the unscrupulous people out there.

Thanks Justleesa, Dee, and everyone else who responded, you help is very much appreciated.

I heard and was thinking of getting Adobe Photo shot, 7.0 and i think there's a 8.0, i seen them on ebay if im not mistaken, im looking into Adobe elements now as well.

I find myself spending HOUR's editing these picture's, is this normal?

Also any recomendation's for a external strobe,to help a begginer shooting picture's, that would help with lighting?

By the way Justleesa, DEE, and Gilligan, and all the other's that post their picture's on here, thank's!! It was your guy's, (and girl's) picture's on here that inspired me getting into shooting under water photography, and i have to say, there's nothing like capturing the moment under water, and even more better, nothing like finalley looking at the picture saying..... I shot that...no way!!! Gotta love it, thank's again!

FLTEKDIVER:
...I find myself spending HOUR's editing these picture's, is this normal?...
Addictive isn't it :D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom