Guam/Yap/Palau - When What Who?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neve

Contributor
Reaction score
Originally from Bali, but now in Singapore
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I'm planning to do a long trip to Guam-Yap-Palau next year, so naturally I have truckloads of questions to ask:

1. When is the best time to go?
2. How long should I spend in each place?
3. I can't do LOB - seasickness prone - so, any suggestions on places to stay?
4. Any dive operators in particular? Who is the best dive guide around?
5. Which dive sites would you recommend in:
5.1. Guam
5.2. Yap
5.3. Palau
6. What kind of visa/permits do I have to get? I have US visa for Guam, but what do I need for Yap/Palau?

Thanks!

cheers,
nev
:)

Hi Nev

This should answer your questions:

1. November - May
2. 1 week Palau, 4/5 days Yap, can't vouch for Guam
3. Manta Ray Bay Hotel in Yap; Palau Pacific in Palau if you are feeling rich, Caroline Resort if you are feeling quite flush or somewhere like one of the West Plaza resorts if you are looking for something a little cheaper. Guam is expensive if you are in the wrong place, but I know Inn on the Bay is good value.
4. In Yap, use the MRBH's own operation. In Guam use Simon Pridmore's Professional Sport Divers. In Palau I recommend NECO Marine and NOT Sam's.
5.1. Dunno
5.2. Mil Channel, Yap Corner, Mil Channel, Mil Channel...!
5.3. Blue Corner (of course:D) Ulong Channel, Ngemelis Wall, wreck of the Iro, Saies Tunnel,
6. Have you got a Singapore passport?

See my web site for dive site info on Yap & Palau:
www.scuba-safaris.com and click on Palau or Yap (!) links and then "dive sites".

Regards
Jim

I second Simon's outfit in Guam PSD went to Guam last Sept and used them - very good. Word of caution though - don't stay at Agat Inn on the Bay, dulls ville!!! Go for the other hotel (which I can't remember right now) much nearer life as we know it!

As for dive sites - I thought Blue Hole was well over rated, OK if you like diving with truck loads of Japanese!! The harbour wrecks are good fun and if you are qualified I am sure Simon or his dive masters will take you inside.

Diving in Guam seems to be all finished by about 1pm - early start, early finishes - I wish I had remembered my driving license!!

I'll be back next may to do the tri mix course.

Don't know about the others but why is Truk not on your list?

Cheers
Jonathan

But need more info on Guam, please....

I have an Indonesian passport, is that any special visa required?

Truk Lagoon, yes just occured to me. How long should I spend here?

What kind of qualifications do I need to penetrate the wreck? I'm PADI AOW qualified, but I don't think I'm quite up there yet....

Also, what's the best way to get to Yap & Palau from Guam?

Thanks folks!
:)

Hi Nev

Can't help you with Guam...

If you have an Indonesian passport I believe you can get a visa on arrival. I suggest you check with a local travel agent or someone like Continental if they have an office in Singapore.

For you the easiest way to go to Yap & Palau is fly to Manila and overnight (lucky you!) and then on the direct flight to Palau, then do you bit there and on to Yap and then on to Guam, back round to Manila again. Or the other way round. If you did Truk (suggest 5-7 days) then this would be a side trip from Guam. Make sure you do the destinations in the right order to minimize the cost of the vv expensive flights on Continental Airlines. So it must be either:
Manila - Palau - Yap - Guam (- Truk and back to Guam) - Manila
or
Manila - Guam (- Truk and back to Guam) - Yap - Palau - Manila

Regarding wreck diving. A lot of the wrecks in Truk are "open" to the elements. You can safely access holds, superstructure etc without fear of getting lost.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Jim

Thanks.... sounds like a plan!

I need to reowrk the route, however. I'm flying to Guam first, via Tokyo (free flight using frequent flyer miles). From Guam, I'm thinking of arranging a connecting flight to Yap and Palau and then lastly to Truk then back to Guam. Does this look feasible?

Will check with Continental re. visa. but I heard that in order to dive some parts of Palau/Yap you will need permission from the local tribes? (Saw this in some Nat Geo documentary).

Thanks again!

Hi Neve

If you are flying to Guam first then Truk would have to be a side trip from Guam and back again, and thenh you link up Yap & Palau afterwards (or before, whicver way you wanna do it!)

Let's see if this works:

-------------------------Guam
| / \
| Yap Truk
| /
Manila-----------------Palau

There you are! There's the way the flights work!

You cannot get from Truk to Palau or Yap without going back to Guam.

Regarding diving Palau or Yap. Certainly for Palau there are some areas you are not allowed to go. Some of the islands near Ngemelis/Big Drop-Off/Blue Corner are out of bounds as they are a nature reserve. I don't know about Yap, but I expect that Bill Acker at Manta Ray has an areangement with locals if they do need permission, and he pays them an annual or monthly fee etc.

However, you will not be there long enough to cover all the dives sites that you can ordinarily do, to even consider going to some of the others!

Hope this helps.

Regards
Jim

Oh dear :upset:

My map did not get submitted quite as I planned. I think I need to add in some dots....

-------------------------Guam
| .............................../.. \
| ...........................Yap... Truk
| ............................./
Manila--------------Palau

Ignore the dots, they are there purely to align things correctly.

You can do a circular route Manila - Guam - Yap - Palau - Manila in whichever order and can only do Truk as a side trip from Guam.

Hopefuilly when I submit this it looks better!

Jim

That made my life so much easier!

I think I may have to drop Truk now that I've found out it costs an extra $800-900 just to include it in my trip! :eek: Looks like I will have to do Truk some other time.

Flying through Manila seems like a better option too, except that I have to fly through Tokyo if I were to use my frequent flyer miles. Oh well, I'll sort this out later. Got to work on picking out dates first!:)

Now, when during the season is manta sighting guaranteed? :D

Hi Neve

The mantas are there all year round, but are generally seen in larger numbers in Mil Channel between December & April. novembver & May are usually transition months, with the mantas at either Mil or Gufnow Channel or somewhere in between. June - October they are usually in Gufnow Channel. My advice is to go December-April for mantas, November - May/June.

If you want help with the CO flight schedule let me know. It is a pig. Also, there is an airpass that you could use to fly to Palau, Yap & Truk from Guam and it would not cost you as much as you think.

Personally I would consider spedning more time at Yap and Palau or go to Truk as well rather than spend time at Guam. The diving at these 3 places is much more interesting.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Jim

Back
Top Bottom