Diving in Tahiti and surrounding islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bacchus

Reaction score
My wife and I unfortunately just cancelled our December trip to Sipidan. (probably not the best place for Americans to be right now). I gave her the choice as where to go instead. (It's her 40th birthday present). She chose Tahiti. I haven't spent a lot of time researching the area yet.

Anybody with ideas as far as accomodations and dive sites? Luxury is not as important as having a good time diving and lazing later. We did a live aboard in the Similan's last year. Land based this year is the preference.

:confused:

For basic infomation I would go here.

Tahiti Explorer

The diving is phenomenal and the topside is even better. Few words of warning, French Polynesia is not cheap and very laid back with little night life. But on the other hand FP has been know to effect one's soul and it's an addiction w/o a cure.

Good luck in your search and let us know the outcome.

We've booked our trip already (3 nights in Moorea, 5 in Bora Bora, 3 in Rangiroaand 3 in Manihi). Scuba Jim was a huge help in getting everything set up for us. It seems as though there are a lot of people that have visited FP lately and everyone has had helpful advise.

Just got a housing for my Olympus so I'll post some pics when we return in mid December.

Cecil once bubbled...
The diving is phenomenal and the topside is even better. Few words of warning......

FP has been know to effect one's soul and it's an addiction w/o a cure.

Bacchus.......Your going to have a GREAT TIME !!!!!!

Bacchus,

I'm sure you will enjoy your trip but I think you could have gone to Sipadan and without any worries. We just traveled through Malaysia (Kota Kinabalu and Tawau in Borneo and Kuala Lumpur on the Peninsula) on our way to Sangalaki Island off of Indonesia. We even took local ferries from Tawau, Malaysia to Tarakan, Indonesia (3 hours) and Tarakan to a small fishing village named Tanjung Batu (2.5 hours). We felt complete at ease the entire trip and everyone we met was wonderful.

Have a good trip to FP and I wish I was going to Rangoira also.

Rickg

The problem is my wife does. To her credit she was willing to still go, but......As she said, do you really want to have to worry about it? FP should be incredible and Sipidan will still be there.

My biggest concern was that the US go into Iraq while we we were in Sipidan. Then it had the possibility to get ugly.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts. I'd love to see some pics from your trip if you have any.

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom