Palau or Fiji? Where to next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lep

Reaction score
Hi there,

Trying to figure out my next dive trip. Here is where I've been and some thoughts, with that said, anyone have advice on where to go next...

All time favorite: Sipidan/Mabul - I LOVE all the marine life and how much you see, it is by far the perfect dive trip for me, though have been 3 times and want something very similar but new

Other Asia spots: Layang Layang, Bunaken, Bali/Tulamben, Lankayan (sp?), Phuket, Koh Lanta; all very nice and great dives, some fantastic wall diving with fun drift dives

On my side of the world: Cozumel was the best in this area, mainly because it had a bit of current bringing in some of the bigger marine life, but other good ones were Belize, Little Cayman, Roatan (overall diving in these spots was nice, but nothing like Southeast Asia...)

To sum up, I like current, drift dives, beautiful wall dives, and tons of marine life...
not so much into wrecks or cave type diving, or liveaboards...

Suggestions on where I should go next? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
LEP

Hi Lep,

Somosomo Strait off Taveuni could be your next favourite dive destination.

Rainbow Reef and the Great White Wall are world famous. Strong currents, lots of colour and plenty of pelagics like manta rays make this area well worth a visit.

These dives sites are also accessable from the local resorts.

Have you dived Raja Ampat?

Hi,
I agree that there are some great dive sites in Fiji, but quite honestly, I think that Palau beats it hands down. The reliability of big animals, the diversity of sites is breathtaking : it's definitely bucket list stuff.
Fiji is great too; people are lovely and friendly, and the relaxing access to sites is terrific. Lots of diversity, but with less big beast stuff. If you loved Sipadan, Fiji will definitely be a winner. Palau's Fish N Fins is the best, IMHO, but the trip is really worthwhile. Either way you'll enjoy it. I've been many times to both and as you can see, Palau is my all time favorite.:D

PS.

Fiji is also the soft coral capital of the world; you would never have seen anything like it in your life. The colors will take your breath away.

You really can't go wrong with any decision.
Good luck and enjoy.

Have room for one more?

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice so far! Though you are making both sound fantastic! Hard to choose. Guess it will come down to the main thing.... money. I will check out the dive op listed.

Any great dive ops in Fiji or specific places to go?

Thanks!

LEP

In Fiji, I've done Beqa, a liveaboard and Wananavu. Wananavu is the best land based because they dive the Bligh Waters if weather permits. A liveaboard is hardcore diving and you get to the best sites.

Wananavu is cheap right now because they price by the Fijian dollar, which is weak against the US dollar. Others price in US dollars.

Fiji is much cheaper than Palau, especially the airfare. But Palau is probably the best diving.

I'd vote for just about anywhere in Indonesia or Palau...I'll figure out Fiji next month as it finally made it to the top of my bucket list....IMO I'd avoid Malaysia been to Layang Layang and Sipadan...found it pretty fished out.

I've done each a few times.

We did Figi in May/June '09 & it was the best trip of my life. Beqa Lagoon, the shark dive was fantastic & did some far off, seldom dived, pristine reefs w/fishing (trolling) to & from the reefs (you need a large group for this). We caught 3 BIG wahoo which became dinner. Then to Wananavu Resort & dove the bligh waters. The bommies are incredible. Absolutely great trip.

Then we did Palau in Sept '09 & that was even better than Figi. We were treated every day to an all day boat ride, seeing all the sites of the rock islands, after our incredible dives. Going back to Palau in Sept '10.

Basically I'm going to say you can't miss with either trip. Retiring soon :D so in the not so distant future I'm going to do both, with a few other stops mixed in. Might as well make the best of the very long plane ride.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom