Typhoon slams Chuuk, on track to hit Yap harder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Pretty bad, apparently. Just got back from Beneath The Sea, having spoken to Frank from Siren Fleet and Cliff from the Odyssey. Both boats were grounded on the reef and extensively damaged, apparently. Details still sketchy however, as power, phones, internet all down.

Storm slams Chuuk, on track to hit Yap harder | Pacific Daily News | guampdn.com

Everyone OK on the Siren, though Daeng, the captain, was injured.

Keep a good thought and a prayer for everyone impacted.

Ray

Sorry to hear all this & hoping Chuuk---& later Yap----have 'good' outcomes...........Myself, being from South Louisiana ,USA, was wondering when----if any(ie are they possible any time of the year???) the 'average' typhoon season is...Here ie in the Gulf of Mexico(USA),we only experience hurricanes from (basically) June thru November..........tia.....& again good luck to all 'down there'.......

Kevrumbo - Got your PM, but your PM inbox is full so couldn't reply.

Let me know if you hear anything about relief efforts, fundraising etc for Chuuk. Frank (Siren Fleet owner) was leaving Beneath The Sea today to head to there. I told him to let me know if he thought I could do anything on the ground in Chuuk. I've got time and ability to get there... but don't want to simply be in the way.

Thoughts and prayers for your friends and family.

Also just returned from Beneath The Sea , spoke with Cliff and were so disturbed at the horrible news. Thankfully, we heard that no one was hurt. Best wishes and good luck to everyone with the Oddyssey. Hopefully everything is manageable and things may return to normal ASAP.

Jon and Lnda

Information from a friend who is there was that the Siren and Odyssey were damaged but the Thorfinn is missing, and people are looting. Doesn't sound good at all.

Sorry to hear all this & hoping Chuuk---& later Yap----have 'good' outcomes...........Myself, being from South Louisiana ,USA, was wondering when----if any(ie are they possible any time of the year???) the 'average' typhoon season is...Here ie in the Gulf of Mexico(USA),we only experience hurricanes from (basically) June thru November..........tia.....& again good luck to all 'down there'.......
The high season is from mid November through January. This year is very unusual in that we've had 2 in March. This typhoon has had very little coverage in Micronesia, perhaps it's worse than first thought.

Got a message on Facebook that Blue Lagoon Resort is ok. I have a rapidly approaching trip there, so am glad for the news. They have some superficial damage to the grounds (tree branches down etc.) by the looks of the photos I've seen, but the resort itself seems to have survived in tact.

Horrible news to hear about the liveaboard situation though :(

Information from a friend who is there was that the Siren and Odyssey were damaged but the Thorfinn is missing, and people are looting. Doesn't sound good at all.

Reporting as a guest the SS Thorfinn, we're just back from a day of diving - we rode out the storm without incident or damage and are currently at anchor (in full view of most of the lagoon so I'm not sure where the report is coming from that we're missing?) - This is one tough little ship, and clearly a skilled captain, that was quite a storm! Hope crew and passengers on Oddysey and Siren are OK? (we have a few spaces on the Thorfinn, so stranded divers may want to check with the captain to see if they can salvage some of their trip with us?)

---------- Post added March 30th, 2015 at 04:50 AM ----------

Hi RJP - no, Thorfinn isn't missing! In fact right in the middle of the lagoon, where we've been since Thursday - Capt Lance rode out the storm without damage (apart from a slightly ripped tarp) and a seasick cook! All safe and well, and just back from a day of (slightly silty) diving.

Back
Top Bottom