palau liveaboard suggestions please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xrcjdx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
my dive buddy and i would like to dive palau in may. as usual, scubaboard member advice is my most reliable source.

we are looking for a relatively reasonably priced liveaboard. we are not interested in luxury, gourmet food, or spacious cabins - just something reasonably comfortable. the fewer divers the better. we are both experienced divers with advanced certifications (incl. dm).

thanks,

r

Why are you looking for a liveaboard specifically? The day boats go to all the same sites as the liveaboards (and, when I was there in March diving with Palau Dive Adventures, a few they didn't). You also get a taste of the local culture when you use the day boats.

Having recently spent 10 days on the Truk Siren I can wholeheartedly recommend their sister-ship the Palau Siren. Sadly, however, you may have to put up with luxury, gourmet food, and spacious cabins.

:D

0193_palau_siren_v1.jpg

SY-Palau-Siren-Deck-Layouts-800.jpg

We were recently on the Ocean Hunter III and it was a good trip. We also did the Palau Aggressor which we also liked but that was like 10 years ago so not too relevant.

I'm not sure if there are any "relatively reasonably priced" liveaboards in Palau though and you might have to put up some creature comforts and good food. Your best bet might be to keep an eye out for any deals one might be offering last minute or at a less popular time, maybe get on their mailing lists and/or those of agents that sell them to learn about deals sooner. Sam's Tours has a couple small liveaboard boats they charter that may work out less expensive if you could find a couple other people to go and might fit what you're looking for. But I have no personal experience with those.

(Lots of folks have plenty of reasons to prefer liveaboards, even if it's possible to do the same sights from land. Been discussed plenty of times for Palau in particular.)

Most day boats never make it to Peleliu.
M/V Solitude One(previous known as Big Blue, the Explorer Fleet).

In March we did did a week on the Tropic Dancer. There was not one complaint from our group about the ship, crew,food, or anything. Just make sure you do not make any "chicken-able offences" :D

I did Palau from land this Spring and of course it was wonderful. While we did the same sites as the liveaboards I think they were always there and gone before we made the 45-60 minute run there from Koror. The Agressor boats parked by our hotel and looked terrific. The Siren was parked on the other side of the island and it looked stunning. We drove by them every day and they all appeared to be having a great time. We dove with Fish 'n Fins and they have a couple of liveaboards too. The point of this post is that the liveaboards do the same sites but likely get to them before the hoards, and there are hoards. Blue Corner is awesome but it is super busy and your time to hook is monitored so everyone gets a chance which makes sense. Returning to lunch on a nice yacht would be nice but the little parks on the islands had their charms too. Nice toilets not being among them.If you can find a good deal on a liveaboard do it along with some land based diving too. Do the Peleliu land tour. Very informative and humbling.

Palau trip 2016.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom