Off to Palau, Truk Yap on Friday...anyone going to be there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jessejean

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll be leaving California for Guam on Friday, then spending 2 dive days in Truk, then 1 dive day in Yap, the a week in Palau. Does there happen to be anyone that will be over there over the next few weeks? I'm going with my father, who is my usual dive buddy, but I'd love to meet new people to dive with or hang out/spend SIs with...see you all in a few weeks!!! Wish me luck! Yahoooo!

Jessica

Hi Jessica,

I'll be in Palau the 4th of July weekend so will miss you by a few weeks, but you'll have no problem hooking up with people once you get to the dive sites. Who will you be diving with in Palau? I've been there twice and dove with Sam's and Fish'nFins. Preferred Sam's overall but both operations are top notch. Jonas at Sam's is an excellent dive guide. Ask him to take you to the manta sites in the north.

I can schlep bags for the two of you.....

Thanks so much for the info Marpacifica...I think I'm diving with Niko dive in Palau. Is it going to be raining a lot? You think I should take a jacket, fleece, etc?

You're quite welcome, Jessica. You won't need a jacket or fleece, that's for sure. If you visit some of the waterfalls on Babeldaob, you may consider bringing one of those cheap rain ponchos, but it's hot this time of year and the seas are calm. I think you meant Neco Marine, also a good outfit I hear, but never dove with them.

If you want to see mandarinfish, dive Cathedral Cave in the late afternoon, and then hang around the front of the cave between 5 and 6 p.m., preferably right after the full moon. They're hanging out in the "leaf litter" coral. That's what it looks like -- just a yard full of dead leaves in the fall, but it's all individual pieces of hard coral.

Oh, and one piece of advice that I had passed on to me that I try to pass on to anyone going to Palau for the first time. WATCH OUT FOR DOWNCURRENTS. During the peak of tide changes, water spills over the reef and creates some nasty downcurrents that can transport you downward 20-30 feet in a matter of seconds. This happened to a friend of mine and the only way she got out of it was to hug the reef (I know, you're not supposed to touch the coral, but when you're in trouble you have to make tough choices), fully inflate her BCD, and crawl up the reef. Inflating the BCD may cause problems later on when you reach shallower depths and you'll shoot up, so don't necessarily do this unless absolutely necessary and you are prepared to release air from your BCD on the ascent.

When it happened to me, I was doing a blue water safety spot well away from the reef, and all of a sudden I felt my ears popping. I checked my depth gauge and I was at 45' already in the space of several seconds. Luckily my current wasn't that strong so I was able to kick up and do my safety stop again, this time watching my depth gauge the whole time. I hope I didn't scare you, but I also hope that at least you're aware of what to expect if something like this happens to you wherever you dive.

Dive safe.

Do be careful of the currents in Palau. They can be quite strong. During one of our last dives, the current was so strong that we aborted the dive, unhooked from the reef, and ended up doing a blue water safety stop. The weirdest part was that our air bubbles weren't going up, they were just going around us as we were in some kind of whirlpool.

The currents are one of the main reasons why they don't recommend Palau for beginning divers.

Dive Safe.

Ooh, Palau.. lucky lucky you, I LOVE Palau... I also dove with Sam's they were great, and i also had Jonas, Mandy, and Johnathon as dive guides, all these guys were fantastic!!! I was in fact a raw beginner just qualified, and using a reef hook!!! But didn't have any problems, however, as has already been mentioned do be careful of those strong currents. My buddy is not such a strong swimmer and I had to swim out to rescue her at one point.

We were at yap, palau and guam in october and loved it. We stayed at yap divers for 4 nights, then went to palua pacific resort for a week then on to guam. We dove with neko and thought they were great. Blue Corner is a killer dive, so is mandarin fish lake if you're trying to photograph mandarin fish. pictures are on my website www.maurbies.com

I'm off to the airport,just wanted you guys toknowi appreciate the timeyou spent helpingmeout with pointers!!!! I'll havelots to report when I get back!!!

Jessica

jessejean:
I'm off to the airport,just wanted you guys toknowi appreciate the timeyou spent helpingmeout with pointers!!!! I'll havelots to report when I get back!!!

Jessica

Jessica , how was your trip to palau - yap - truk?
have you seen sharks and mantas?
jellyfish lake?

I hope you had a lot of fun!

georg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom