figi - beqa lagoon or somosomo straits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dive_girl

Registered
Reaction score
Hi - doing research on Fiji trip in September & am trying to decide Beqa Lagoon or Somosomo straits. Rescue certified divers with 50 dives, but good confident divers. Have done San Diego, Hawaii, Belize so far. Would like to be able to snorkle and relax on beach while not diving. Looking for nice underwater scenery and lots of fish and a good dive operation. Hate cattle boats and uninteresting dive masters.

Thanks!
Dive_girl

Hi Dive_Girl,

I have done both and there simply is no comparison. Somosomo Strait area is far superior diving.

For the best diving, do a live-aboard. The Nai'a & Sere are both top notch. Fiji Aggressor also super, but it's leaving to do the Tahiti scene in Sep of this year. Princess II is just okay.

For land-based, look into Matangi Resort & Aqua-Trek.

Lucky you.

DocVikingo

Thank you so much! That helps enormously, I had heard Beqa Lagoon was great, but also heard there has been major coral damage there and kadavu so I wasn't sure. I'll look into the resorts you mentioned. I haven't done a liveaboard, but think I would feel very confined - I'm an explorer and like lots of uncrowded spaces. Crowds make me cranky. The idea of being on a boat for a week with nowhere to go isn't very appealing to me. I know its better diving, but I guess I can't have it all --- :). Thanks for the advice.

By the way, have you ever been diving in Manihi (tuamoto islands in French Polynesia) - that is our choice #2 now.

Dive_girl:)

Hey Dive-girl!

Just wanted to let you know about a great Fiji website:

http://www.fijiguide.com (Rob Kay's Fiji Guide)

It's a fantastic resource for anyone planning to go to Fiji...they even have a message board too with lots of FAQs.
I went to Savusavu about ten years ago on a Cousteau Society dive trip, and I think about it at least once a week (especially when I need a mental escape from work!). I also agree with you that I'd feel too confined on a boat. Plus, I'm glad that I got the experience of living in a bure (said booray) for 2 weeks. Also, the warmth of the Fijian people is really a huge part of the charm of these islands, and I think it would be a shame for you not to get as much interaction with them as you can, especially sitting around a big bowl of kava.

Have a blast, I'm jealous!!!! Look out for falling coconuts!

-L

Hi Dive Girl!

You might want to see my recent trip report:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t4962/s.html

I dove both those areas, and IMHO the Somosomo straits were generally better. Dunno about the beaches, however -- you might have to look around for a good one on Taveuni.

Cheers,

g2

G'Day Dive-Girl,

Definately Taveuni for Somo Somo Straits, book with Garden Island Resort or Matangi Island (A bit more expensive) Best diving in the world there, check out the archives on Rodale's BB for a lot more info on this place.

BTW: Doc V 'posts' there regularly too

:) AusWiz

:Dive-girl ! Lucky you ! Fiji is the BEST for diving. We were there (Garden Island Resort) 5 yrs. ago. Somosomo Strait is beautiful. We were new divers with less than 50 dives and had no trouble.
We will be heading to Matangi Island Resort in June 2003 and can't wait.
We dive mostly here in the N.W. Puget Sound to be exact. Wolf eels and Giant Pacific Octopus almost every dive ! www.banditocharters.com for a great dive company.

Have Fun ! You'll wanna go back !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom