DC800 some questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Madmanx-Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am considering getting a DC800 pro set and I have a few questions

1. Does the strobe use through lens metering and automatically adjust its output to suit the ambient conditions?

2 what is the response time when using the Macro focus? (the camera spec only states the time for landscape focus)

3 what is the recycle time in the real would? (the spec sheet doesn’t say just depending on battery load and flash setting)

Any info much appreciated

1)The Digital Pro Flash strobe does not use a TTL metering or communicate with the camera in any way. It has a light meter located on the front face of the flash which measure the amount of light reflecting back from the subject. When the flash is set to AUTO, the flash brightness will be more or less depending on the amount of light reflecting back from the subject. For example, when taking a picture of a bright, close-up subject, the flash’s light meter senses a high amount of light reflecting back and cuts-off the flash before it delivers the full duration of the flash light.

2)The shutter response time in macro focus is about 0.65 seconds. Keep in mind that infinity focus is anything beyond 2ft shooting distance.

3)Recycle time is about 3 seconds.

Recycle time of “about” 3 seconds is the time interval between pictures in any scene or shooting mode. Spy mode offers a time interval called “fastest”, which is one picture about every 3 seconds when the flash is off, or about 4 seconds when the flash is on. If the camera is in Program AE mode (auto mode), the recycle time is also 3 seconds. There is a shooting mode called “continuous” which will take a maximum of 3 pictures per pictures at 1 second intervals.

Our UK distributor is Cameras Underwater. You can contact them for the availability of the SL1816 Travel Charger Set.

Here is their contact info:
Cameras Underwater
East Island Farmhouse, Ottery Saint Mary
Devon, EX11 1QH
United Kingdom
(44) 1404-812277

2)The shutter response time in macro focus is about 0.65 seconds. Keep in mind that infinity focus is anything beyond 2ft shooting distance.

I've been re-reading all of the posts on SeaLife Station. After you use the camera a bit there is so much to learn that you missed on the first pass. This particular quote above caught my attention.

The DC800 should focus down to 2". Can you (anyone) describe the camera setup for that kind of distance? I also use the SL961 Strobe. My results for very close macro is "blurred" and/or burned beyond recognition. So there has to be something I'm missing in my setup for close focus shots. Can the arm be extended somehow? A small AA focus light would also help with strobe alignment as I learn.

Not critical of the equipment! I recognize it's me and part of my learning process. I note that no extra lens is necessary for the DC800 and I see the diffusers advertised on the web site are not for the SL 961. I've vastly improved after 5-6 uses of the camera but the close focus thing is still escaping me.

Terry

"The DC800 should focus down to 2". Can you (anyone) describe the camera setup for that kind of distance? "

The all Sealife cameras have a focus mode button. It toggles between macro, normal, and landscape(infinity) focus. To shoot macro set the focus to macro (a flower looking symbol). You may need a "focus light" depending upon ur depth and water clarity. The camera will not autofocus without enough light.

When shooting macro focus your subject is obviously with inches of your lens. Therefore, if your shooting in auto-external strobe mode you should select the "macro flash" setting for your strobe. If your in clear, tropical water with lots of ambiant light, you may be able to shoot in Sea mode without flash.

"I also use the SL961 Strobe. My results for very close macro is "blurred" and/or burned beyond recognition. ....."

Observe the LCD while the camera is focusing. Many times in macro focus mode the camera can not achieve proper focus due to 1) low light level or 2) your outside the range of focus. Meaning your too close or too far away. When the camera cant focus you'll get a red square instead of the green square and the results will be horribly out of focus.

Thank you! I was aware of the "macro flash" setting and have used that but avoided the macro focus mode as I thought I read somewhere that "infinity" was the setting to use on "auto external" to trigger the flash with no delay. I'll give these a try and watch the LCD more closely. Have you tried any of the small AA type lights for focus/flash position that have worked well for you? I was wrestling with aiming the strobe but after experimenting am doing better with that. I'm diving in less than clear water (Pacific Coast of Mexico) on most days.

"infinity" mode focus does eliminate the "focusing" delay with exposures.

I dive in less then stellar water clarity too and a focus light is a MUST! But, what I've done is rig up 2 diffused UK C8 eLED lights for my dive/focus/video light. This required a DIY tray(bracket) which holds the housing, lights AND moved the strobes out a bit. With the current Sealife tray you may have trouble aiming the new digital strobe to subjects close to the lens when in macro focus mode.

Back
Top Bottom