Sea Mode in DC-800

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Desert_Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Denise-

Several DC-800 camera owners have observed that when the DC-800 is in Sea Mode, what you see in the view finder is much brighter than the corresponding photo that results.

Can you explain to us what is happening. Why is the picture so much darker than we expect from what we see in the LCD display?

Thanks,

Art

PS Refers to fresh water dives. We have not been in sea water yet.

This is probably caused by the amount of ambient light. What you see through the LCD screen is not exactly what the picture will look like when the information is processed. OR you might have the contrast turned up on the display. You can try doing a system reset.

This is probably caused by the amount of ambient light. What you see through the LCD screen is not exactly what the picture will look like when the information is processed. OR you might have the contrast turned up on the display. You can try doing a system reset.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't have the manual with me, but I don't recall a "system reset". Is that the same thing as a "format"?

Art

PS We did a search on the DC-800 manual. When we searched "system reset", we came up empty. Then we searched "reset" and only got a hit on "White Balance Reset". Do you have alternate search words we could try? Or a page number in the manual (we are using a downloaded PDF from the Sealife Web Site"). Or a telephone number we could call?

Thanks,

Art

Last edited:
Format is going to clear your memory card. Hopefully you've downloaded whatever pictures you want before you do that.

I can only speak of my experiences with my DC-600, but if you're using your strobe, set your camera for external flash instead of sea mode and you might have better luck. You may find yourself playing a little bit with your flash intensity as well. So far, I've had my best luck using sea mode in shallower water where you're getting lots of sunlight.

As far as dark pictures go, too, the Ulead photo editing software that comes with the camera sometimes can help a little bit too. I'll go to histogram and play with the white and grey levels to sometimes rescue an underexposed photo, then go into balance to add a little red or blue to capture a little color that's filtered out by the water.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't have the manual with me, but I don't recall a "system reset". Is that the same thing as a "format"?

Art

PS We did a search on the DC-800 manual. When we searched "system reset", we came up empty. Then we searched "reset" and only got a hit on "White Balance Reset". Do you have alternate search words we could try? Or a page number in the manual (we are using a downloaded PDF from the Sealife Web Site"). Or a telephone number we could call?

Thanks,

Art

System Reset will change all the settings back to the nominal settings.

Menu/Set up/Sys. Reset

Yes, our toll free number is 800-257-7742. You can ask to speak to Karl, our service technician.

System Reset will change all the settings back to the nominal settings.

Menu/Set up/Sys. Reset

Yes, our toll free number is 800-257-7742. You can ask to speak to Karl, our service technician.

Thank you, Denise.

Did anyone ever tell you you're a sweetheart?

Art

Format is going to clear your memory card. Hopefully you've downloaded whatever pictures you want before you do that.

I can only speak of my experiences with my DC-600, but if you're using your strobe, set your camera for external flash instead of sea mode and you might have better luck. You may find yourself playing a little bit with your flash intensity as well. So far, I've had my best luck using sea mode in shallower water where you're getting lots of sunlight.

As far as dark pictures go, too, the Ulead photo editing software that comes with the camera sometimes can help a little bit too. I'll go to histogram and play with the white and grey levels to sometimes rescue an underexposed photo, then go into balance to add a little red or blue to capture a little color that's filtered out by the water.

Yup. We understood about the difference between flash and sea mode. We both got the new camera and are just "trying stuff". I have a dive scheduled in November for Palau and I want to be completely comfortable with the camera before then. I want to be able to switch modes and know that I'm doing the right thing when I do it. So many of my opportunities are fleeting and there's no way I will be able to pose that shot in the future.

The reason I want to understand sea mode is that the flash effectiveness falls off quickly after about 6 feet or so. Because I have a strongly developed sense of self preservation, I try to keep my Great White shark subjects further away than six feet. :rofl3:

But always feel free to toss out suggestions to us. We get smarter that way.

Thanks,

Art

I just got back from a trip to the Bahamas where I used my DC-800 for the 1st time. Most of the pictures were taken using "Sea Mode - Blue Water" and when I first looked at them, I thought they did not look as good as my wife's, which were taken with a DC-500 in "Sea Mode" - where the camera flash works.

However, when I took them into PhotoShop and did nothing more than "AutoLevels" - they just "popped" and looked just like I remembered the scene. On more distant shots, they looked much better than the DC-500 pics, even with a lot more manipulation.

I really like the results and am glad I traded up.

That makes me feel a lot better.

Art

Most of the sea-modes are used for color balancing. I recently used the camera while snorkeling and in that shallow water there was no color to compensate so everything came out very red. The right thing to do in that situation would have been to color or white balance using the card provided. Or, simply shoot in "normal" mode. The thing is, you have to think a little. But alas I was on vacation and so was my brain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom