DC800 Locked Up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grover48

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I bought a new DC800 Pro and took it on my trip to Maui. I had one experience with it that was a problem.

I had taken a few shots with it and turned it off. The lens did not retract and the screen went black. No combination of pushing buttons would make the camera do anything.

I removed the battery and waited a minute before reinstalling it. I pushed the on button and the camera came on an operated normally.

Is this a common thing or an isolated incident?

Might be an isolated incident. The only issue I had was the plunger on the shutter was sticking. We where at 75 to 100 feet and I was told that was to be expected. I was not happy with that so with some parts and the help of my local dive shop we shimmed the spring and then retested for leaks in a pressure tank. Took it to 195 feet with no leaks. Problem solved.

PS How was Maui?

Maui was wonderful. Diving was great. My wife got certified and we dove together for the first time.

Life is great.

Must have made for wonderful trip getting to enjoy the underwater world with the one you love.

Hey Grover - my brand new DC800 did the exact same thing the week after our first trip with it. I shot 800 pics in Bonaire, got home, messeda round with the settings, went to turn it off and black screen and the lens would not go back in. Tryied everything before removing the battery - when the batery went back in the camera turned off. Have not see this again, but it was just yesterday.

Have you had this happen again?

I have only had it happen one more time. Same procedure to clear it - just remove the battery and it resets.

I am concerned now because I don't want it to quit on an important dive and miss the shots for the rest of the dive.

I can't duplicate the problem at will so I can't tell tech support what causes it.

Hey Joe, what is trade in value on a DC800 for a DC 1000?

I guess Joe thinks I am kidding about the trade in on a different camera.

I can't trust my DC800 to perform on a dive. What good is a paperweight on a dive?

I took over 800 pics on my first trip with no issues. It locked up when I was at home tring new settings and viewing pics. I am not entirely pleased that it happened, but it was only once and I cant make it happen again (yet).

I am not worried about missing pics - I have forgotten to charge up at noghtmore than once and its nice to dive without a camera sometimes - even if you see the best stuff.

It happen to me once when I was trying to download my pictures. I think I was trying to push to many buttons at once. To reset it I removed the battery and reinserted it. Everything worked fine after that and the camera has performed great since that incident. Seems to me like it operates just like most electronic stuff these days, just needs a reboot sometimes to clear operator errors. At least I don't have as many problems with the camera as I do with my Ipod.

Back
Top Bottom