Moisture munchers - DC1000 Elite kit...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ewaiea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okie dokie, another sealife DC1000 question.....

Can you microwave moisture munchers or put them in the dryer so you can re-use them in the future?

It's a little tuff to find them readily at most of my local dive retailers. A divemaster/photographer on my last outing said that he doesn't use moisture munchers in his housing but just makes sure that he opens and closes his housing in areas of similar humidity level.

Also,

Does the external flash require a moisture muncher as well?

Thanks all and happy diving photos!

Eric

The external flash should not need any. Their purpose is to prevent precipitation on the coolest part of the housing - lens! Fogging!

We discussed rejuvenating them extensively on this thread: Moisture munchers which finally rolled off of page 1. Maybe we should Stick it? Some people seem happy with microwaving them (see my failed attempt with pics there) and some baking them, but many of us are happiest putting them in a ziplock of Damp Rid - which keeps new ones new and recharges used ones. The one drawback to using it is that they turn back blue before full rejuvenated so leave them for at least a few days.

Although drying them is possible through a long painful process, I would recommend just getting new ones. Your LDS shoudl have or be able to geet them but then you can alwyas check online as well or thorugh our parts distributor, SeaLife Camera Parts - SeaLife Battery - Moisture Muncher

As for the flash, they do not require them but the munchers are good to use in any electronics to protect them from moisture damage.

"...long painful process..." Joe, I like your cameras and your customer service is wonderful, but those MMs start turning pink as soon as you open the bag. In a week, any unused ones are used. Damp Rid prevents that, and rejuvs the used ones in 5 days max. Well, for $4 try a quart. :wink: I'm still on my first cup.

Damp Rid is great. Put your container of Damp Rid into a resealable bag, put your Moisture Munchers into the Damp Rid and seal them into the bag. In a few days they will be bright blue again. Not painful at all, it does cheat the LDS out of charging an arm and a leg or a pinky at least for them.

N

Damp Rid is great. Put your container of Damp Rid into a resealable bag, put your Moisture Munchers into the Damp Rid and seal them into the bag. In a few days they will be bright blue again. Not painful at all, it does cheat the LDS out of charging an arm and a leg or a pinky at least for them.

N

I did exactly that. Had to buy a 2-pack (total spent well under $10) but I have used the same can since last year, and am storing some MMs in it. All were pink when I put them in, now remain blue.

I just returned from the trip to the Caribbean and put some pink ones in, which are now also blue after a few days.

Also, I recently purchased the DC1000 (nice, BTW) and it came with . . . BLUE MMs!:D

You can also stick them in the oven. Set at the lowest temp you can, put in oven on foil, turn oven off after a couple of hours or when they are blue. On the other hand I have nuked them...I lost a couple as the edges bubbled so I gave that route up...It did work though...

You can also stick them in the oven. Set at the lowest temp you can, put in oven on foil, turn oven off after a couple of hours or when they are blue. On the other hand I have nuked them...I lost a couple as the edges bubbled so I gave that route up...It did work though...
Someone from Sealife (gawd I am bad with names) said in the other thread that they used to suggest that but had too many complaints.

I do it all the time...Too cheap to buy more

"...long painful process..." Joe, I like your cameras and your customer service is wonderful, but those MMs start turning pink as soon as you open the bag. In a week, any unused ones are used. Damp Rid prevents that, and rejuvs the used ones in 5 days max. Well, for $4 try a quart. :wink: I'm still on my first cup.
Therein lies the problem. Buy 3, use 1 and toss the other 2? I don't think so. & with the damp rid it is no process at all. I now keep a small Chinese food Tupperware 2/3rds filled with damp rid. My spare MM's live in there. Blue as blue can be. When I need a new one, I put the old one in the Tupperware and the new one in the camera. Within 3 to 5 days I can no longer tell which one was the one recently put in there.

Back
Top Bottom