DC1000 - using flashlight as strobe substitute (for the time being)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hendenburg2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been focusing on getting more essential dive equipment (reg, gauges, bcd, and camera (duh)) recently and so i don't yet have the money to get a flash for my DC1000. i've heard rumors on various product reviews that a simple $30 underwater flashlight can act as a flash up to about 4' away from the subject in a pinch when a proper external flash isn't available. has anyone heard of this/able to comment on it's validity? if it's true, i'll give it a shot, but if anyone's tried it and didn't get it to work i'd much rather just keep my left hand on the inflator hose instead

thanks.

Unfortunately, I believe this is not the case.......

You can, however, use a flashlight as a focus light...........

But, a strobe is much much more intense from of lighting with a much greater spread.....

M

There are times when you can use your camera in "night" mode and get some nice shots. I believe the aperture stays open just a bit longer.

Note: These were taken with the DC600 and "night" settings... no flash in 12-15' of salt water

boat0905101.jpg

boat0905102.jpg

boat0905103.jpg

boat0905104.jpg

boat0905106.jpg

boat0905107.jpg

Under a bridge (Blue Heron Bridge at 21')
underbridge1.jpg

people1.jpg

Again, 12-15' of salt water using the "night" setting and no flash
gardeneel0905096.jpg

gardeneel0905091.jpg

On the other hand... You might want to reconsider a strobe for your DC1000.

You can get some very nice shots using the strobe...

seahorse0905091.jpg

octopus09050916.jpg

frogfish0905092.jpg

Just to let you know... All these pictures were on the same dive May 9, 2009. It's nice to have a camera that can be set quickly and is versatile

Even down to video

Strobe shots are great - did you do any post picture processing? If so, what?

thanks......M

I have the DC800 and do take pictures at 150ft with no strobe, because I did not bring it. But, I did bring my can light and do use it instead. As far as a 30 buck light... depends on your depth. They will take a decent picture at shallow depths. SeaLife does take mediocre pictures at best (what do you expect for the price). They are cheap and that is why I bought it. Just my 2cents....

Strobe shots are great - did you do any post picture processing? If so, what?

thanks......M
Put it in my photo editing software (Corel Photo-Paint), clicked "Auto Adjust" and then resized the image for posting.

Please understand that I have close to 50,000 pictures taken with the DC600 since 2007, and more than 4,000 at this dive site. You learn a lot about your camera by using it!

Every single picture was taken with the wide-angle lens attached, but on some I used digital zoom to get the picture I wanted...

I have the DC800 and do take pictures at 150ft with no strobe, because I did not bring it. But, I did bring my can light and do use it instead. As far as a 30 buck light... depends on your depth. They will take a decent picture at shallow depths. SeaLife does take mediocre pictures at best (what do you expect for the price). They are cheap and that is why I bought it. Just my 2cents....
Actually, I have pictures that have won awards taken with my DC600. I have 4 pictures that are currently going into the creature identification DVD in collaboration with Paul Humann & Ned DeLoach (you know... the guys who wrote the "Identification books").

I have several pictures that have been blown up to posters without losing detail. There are even a few that are listed for wall paper murals...

Here are some pics with no strobe with a DC800. I took them of a friend of mine. These were taken with no strobe and no flashlight. Could have posted more pics with a strobe, but you wanted them without....

Attachments

• td 001.jpg
    td 001.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 45
  • td 002.jpg
    td 002.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 56
  • td 011.jpg
    td 011.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 48
  • td 022.jpg
    td 022.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 44
  • td 023.jpg
    td 023.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 43
  • td 025.jpg
    td 025.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 47
  • td 036.jpg
    td 036.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Here are some pics with no strobe with a DC800. I took them of a friend of mine. These were taken with no strobe and no flashlight. Could have posted more pics with a strobe, but you wanted them without....
Excellent example!

Are you going to get macro quality pictures? No. Are you going to get the equivalent of distance pictures? Yes. Tossing them through a bit of software and you have memories :wink:

Back
Top Bottom