Ipod to computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hammerhead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I posted this in the Oly forum, but I'm running out of time and hope that by posting this here, some other kind soul will take pity on this wretched technophobe and help me out...

I've got photos on the ipod (60Mb Photo) I want to upload, but I can't get it to work with my laptop running MS XP Professional - any suggestions? I'm not any sort of computer whizz, but can just about follow instructions.

Quick replies very, very, very welcome as I'm away on a liveaboard on Saturday for a week with a 1GB card I'll fill in two days shooting in tif format (which I need to do).

HEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!

:god:

I'm not completely sure, as I have never done this, but I think Itunes can be used to take pix from your ipod and put it on your comp. Maybe you can contact Apple about this.

Itunes.

Hook up the Ipod. When Itunes pops up, it will synch. Go to the little iPod icon in the lower-right of the screen - click on "advanced"... you'll be able to set it for auto synch with your photo library (not recommended unless you want 100% redundancy) or you can simply select the sub directories or even the images.

I have hundreds of images on my iPod. I've created slide shows for trips, plug it into my projector for people to see, blah blah...

You should be able to do this in a snap.

Another way it to set up your iPOd as a "drive". Then when you plug it in, Windows simply recognizes it as another drive (like a USB thumb drive) and you can go into "explorer" and just drag and drop.

---
Ken

Cheers Red,

When I open Itunes (Ipod connected of course), in the bottom right corner there is a bit of text reading "671 photos" or whatever (I'm at work and can't check).

Apart from that little admission that the photo's exist, I can't access them through the computer. I just know I'm going to scream when someone tells me the one obvious thing that I'm not doing...

Mo2vation:
Itunes.

Hook up the Ipod. When Itunes pops up, it will synch. Go to the little iPod icon in the lower-right of the screen - click on "advanced"... you'll be able to set it for auto synch with your photo library (not recommended unless you want 100% redundancy) or you can simply select the sub directories or even the images.

I have hundreds of images on my iPod. I've created slide shows for trips, plug it into my projector for people to see, blah blah...

You should be able to do this in a snap.

Another way it to set up your iPOd as a "drive". Then when you plug it in, Windows simply recognizes it as another drive (like a USB thumb drive) and you can go into "explorer" and just drag and drop.

---
Ken

Getting results here!

Your first suggestion I'll have a go at when I get home tonight.

As for your second (which may be better for me as long as it doesn't mess up music downloading through Itunes), how do you go about setting the Ipod as a drive (you'd never guess I'm 'only' 33)?

Hi Larry:

I have been using my IPOD for over a year to download pictures from my camera on the road, either as a backup to the cf card (prefered) or to allow me to reformat the cf card and shoot more pics (not prefered). The camera to IPOD transfers take a while but the IPOD to computer transfers should be very fast.

It has been a while, but I recall having to set a preference in Itunes so that it tells the computer to recognize the IPOD as an outboard drive (F: on my computer). When I plug in the IPOD I go to Windows explorer and find the picture files I stowed on the IPOD and then copy them to my C: drive. I am not at home so I don't have my IPOD or home computer to look at. If this does not solve your problem then PM me and I will try to retrace my steps and give you a better set of instructions. Hope this helps.

---Bob

ScubaBOBuba

if you hook up your ipod to any windows xp machine or windows 2000

it should show up as a hard drive (External) look for your photos and transfer
to the desired pc.

i use my 30gb ipod photo as a storage device on the road. when i fill up my 1GB Extreme III
Sandisk i upload to my ipod. when i get home i hook up my ipod to my pc
running windows xp and dump all the folders and files.

Ocrmaster:

It's great isnt it. You get all your favorite tunes on the road and have a storage device to download your pics to boot. I shoot raw so I cannot display the pics on my Ipod, but it is a quick transfer from the Ipod to computer when I get home.

On my computer (I run the home version of XP) I had to go into Itunes with the Ipod connected. I then clicked on the Edit tab, located the Preferences tab and clicked on that. Under the menu I clicked on the Ipod tab and then selected "Enable Disk Use". For whatever reason, I had to go through theses steps to get my computer to recognize the Ipod as an outboard drive.

---Bob

ScubaBOBuba,

did u know that they have a device now that you can hookup to your ipod to transfer
your photos without a laptop or computer?

my nephew was telling me about it.

What i am currently doing is bringing a 12 in 1 Card Reader, plugin my 2GB Extreme III SD Card. Connect my Ipod to my PC or Laptop and transfer.

Oh newegg has a 2GB SD card for $50.00

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820211029

Ocrmaster: I think I know what you are talking about. I bought the Ipod camera adapter. It is a connector that links the Ipod with your camera by using your camera USB port and cord. This allows you to download from camera to Ipod (a slow process). When I get home I download the Ipod files to my computer using the Ipod USB connector (much faster process). Are you using a media reader and the camera adapter to load your SD card into the Ipod after you have removed the SD card from the camera? I have not tried this. If it is what you are doing, are the downloads from the card to the Ipod faster than if you connected the camera to the Ipod?

---Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom