Sizing and resolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

love2fishfork

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When I take pictures I take them using the highest resolution possible. Problem is that they are very large files. For example my typical photo has a pixel dimension of 3072 x 2304 @ a resolution of 180 pixels per inch. So I am trying to decide what to do to shrink them down, but maintain sufficient quality. So what would you choose for the following properties?

Pixel dimensions
Resolution in pixels per inch

When resizing should I resample?

Then if I save it to a JPG, how much compression should I use?

I'm using Photoshop cs2

For the first thing pixels per inch only matters when printing or other output, the file size is determined by the pixel dimensions

What I do is keep a full resolution raw or tiff copy and save a high compression JPG file for most uses. Most of the time the JPG will be good enough and Photoshop can work a lot faster with the smaller file. You can go back to the full resolution if you need to make a big print or want to sell the shot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom