vaseline instead of silicone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mudchick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband loaned our underwater camera (nikon coolpx 885 w/ Fantasea housing) to his brother who was going snorkeling in Hawaii. Hubby told him how to take care of the camera and to use silicone grease on the seal. Brother-in-law claims he went to a handful of scuba shops and couldn't find any so he decided to use vaseline instead. :light: Will this ruin the o-ring?

It probably wasn't a good idea, actually neither was your husband's advice since Fantasea recommends not using ANY sort of grease, including silicone on their gaskets. Replace it - peace of mind is $5.00 plus postage away.

From the FAQ: http://www.fantasea.com/faq.asp#18

WHAT TYPE OF GREASE SHOULD I USE ON THE GASKET IN MY HOUSING?

None! Grease, or any other lubrication, is designed to reduce friction when a radial seal is made with an O-ring. As it moves into place when the door is closed, an O-ring rubs against the wall of the camera or housing. This rubbing creates friction which can “grab” the O-ring and cause it to stretch, twist, or become dislocated. The lubrication does not prevent water from entering, it simply reduces friction on the O-ring, which when seated properly will keep water out.

I thought that might be the case. Dipsh!* brother-in-law. thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom