Housing on storage, keep the O-ring on or remove it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AleG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a WP-DC34 housing for my Canon G11 and I was wondering if in between uses (three or four dive trips a year at most) should I keep it closed with the O-ring in place or should I remove it and keep it in a plastic bag or some other container?

In a housing with a groove for the o-ring i would:
- take th o-ring out, clean and grease it slightly
- clean the groove
- put the o-ring back in the groove being very careful to use his original orientation
- don't close the housing, put front and back in 2 seperate zip-loc bags with maybe a silicia bag inside.

Why? Storing the o-ring outside of it's groove may provocate small invisible deformations of the "unprotected" o-ring and/or he is loosing his shape, and this may lead to a leak as the o-ring may don't fit well the groove.

Chris

Thank you Chris, I opened the case lid and used the strap to keep it from closing when it's inside the box.

AleG,
take extreme care that the strap don't squeeze the o-ring as the starp between may deform the o-ring and the housing may leak next time you use it. Store front and back separate if not hinged or wide open if they can't be seperated.

Chris

In a housing with a groove for the o-ring i would:
- take th o-ring out, clean and grease it slightly
- clean the groove
- put the o-ring back in the groove being very careful to use his original orientation
- don't close the housing, put front and back in 2 seperate zip-loc bags with maybe a silicia bag inside.

Why? Storing the o-ring outside of it's groove may provocate small invisible deformations of the "unprotected" o-ring and/or he is loosing his shape, and this may lead to a leak as the o-ring may don't fit well the groove.

Chris

Pardon the resurrection of a very old thread. How do you recommend cleaning the o-ring? Do you use a particular product?

If I have some grit or sand stuck to the O-ring I simply wash it in fresh water and air dry or use paper kitchen towel before re-greasing it.

I remove the o-ring and store it in a baggie in the housing. Storing it with the ring in place and closed compresses the o-ring, shortening its life. If there is a little grit someplace it will cause a leak. In all honesty, my eye are not so good and I will never spot a hair or grit on the ring itself. Here is my procedure.

1) After use, I remove the o-ring, check it carefully and sometimes rub a little grease into it. Then place it in a baggie.
2) When I go to use the housing, I wipe down the groove with a lint free cloth in my house with A/C (low humidity environment).
3) Then I take the o-ring and run in through my fingers, which both cleans it and feels for grit & stuff.
4) Then I place it in the groove and close the case.

So far I have never leaked. I still take a lot of lousy photo's, but the housing never leaks.

If I have some grit or sand stuck to the O-ring I simply wash it in fresh water and air dry or use paper kitchen towel before re-greasing it.

Is there a specific brand you recommend for paper towels in Dubai that doesn't leave lint on o'rings?

Is there a specific brand you recommend for paper towels in Dubai that doesn't leave lint on o'rings?

The stuff my wife buys from Spinneys :D

Honestly I have been using paper towel since I lived in Jeddah, never found any bits sticking to the O-rings, to me paper towel is paper towel, I never use tissue paper though.

I normally take the o-rings out clean them, grease them, then put them in a baggie and put inside the housing until ready to go diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom