Lightroom vs. Aperture

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FairWaterDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just recently switched to a MacBook and wondered if anyone has suggestions for which photo editing software is easy to use but produces great results. I am amateur underwater photographer that uses a Canon 550 with an external strobe and used Adobe Elements to edit my photos. It seems that Lightroom and Aperature are the popular ones for MacBook. Any thoughts?

I've been using Aperture for a while. Apart from some higher end editing features, it's also superb for cataloging. Recently got Photoshop CS5, and they work seamlessly together. I believe the same is true of the Aperture/Elements combo. Highly recommended.

+2 Mblazer. I use Aperture 3 for most adjustments like white balance, significant fixes are done using PS Elements with Topaz filters. I have never used Lightroom but from everything I've read it is also a very good program. I chose Aperture because it was specifically made for Mac.

I just recently switched to a MacBook and wondered if anyone has suggestions for which photo editing software is easy to use but produces great results. I am amateur underwater photographer that uses a Canon 550 with an external strobe and used Adobe Elements to edit my photos. It seems that Lightroom and Aperature are the popular ones for MacBook. Any thoughts?

I am a lightroom user and really like it. But you should download both programs and play with them. See which one fits your workflow better. Then buy the one you like. If you are near a local college, take a photo class. The student price for either is most likely a lot less than the tuition and you might learn something as well.

Bill

I'm currently using the free trial of Aperture. I like it so far and it's easy to use.

I use Lightroom and Aperture together, actually. I find that I do the bulk of my edits on Aperture but that I always do a final edit and watermark in Lightroom.

Do what works for you! Once you learn one programme well, it just becomes second nature.

Cheers

I went from Elements to lightroom 3 and i didn't have a bloody clue, I still don't.
I know have a 'workable' knowledge but I am in the process of getting an upgrade to my old Elements and will go back as soon as possible.
Even though I now know how to use it basically, it still puts pics into places that I don't direct it too and then have to go looking for them?
Far too complicated for an amatuer and suited to highly advanced amatuers or pros. . .imho
Bruce

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom