Magnifyer on Flexarm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozziworld

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My middle aged eyes are beginning to bother me and the stick-on bifocal diopters on my mask insist on fogging.

Thus, leading me to this contraption.

Basically it is a magnifying glass on a flex arm. My intention is for Macro Only dives but it may work ok with the wide angle.

DSC_9749.jpg

DSC_9757.jpg

DSC_9763.jpg

It works ok on land and I need to get it in the water. Makes the screen feel like a five inch screen.

The magnifying glass also comes in handy when looking for super macro critters.

I hope it is not too clumsy underwater. Will be in the water next weekend.

I can see it working for the camera screen, but does the arm have enough flex to use for viewing macro critters? I use magnifier attached with ULCS arm parts to camera base place, horizontal orientation. Large side spotter light pointing down also so the two converge on an area. I have bad eyes, big underwater housing, and the setup is fantastic for finding things. Just set it up, hold the housing, and start looking. People think it's kind of strange, but sure helps me.

I was hoping it would serve as both for enlarging the screen and for spotting the little critters. It enlarges the screen quite nicely on land. It should work underwater as the flex arm sets it between 4 and six inches away for optimum magnification. Am concerned that it might be unwieldy and floppy but I get it in the water first and get a few dives in before I decide if it is worth improving further.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your setup? Would be much appreciated.

I also have a ULCS rig which I use when doing General purpose diving where I might find both wide angle and macro opportunities. The above set up is for macro only dives.

Just be aware that the magnification that you see on land will be a lot less underwater since the lens curved surfaces are in contact with water not air.
Bill

So I had it in the water this past weekend. Overall, it did not feel cumbersome and I have decided to keep it on my rig exactly as is.

The only aspect of its performance I did not anticipate was the glare and reflections especially in shallow water with a light background behind me. I just remembered to shoot up (which is preferred over shooting down at a subject) more often.

The flex arm I have on is flexible enough so I can actually use the magnifying glass on critters and not just the screen. So it is capable of serving both purposes.

Here is a link to photos I posted from this weekend.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canon-corner/389554-fix-s90-macro-anilao.html

Great idea and nice pix

My middle aged eyes are beginning to bother me and the stick-on bifocal diopters on my mask insist on fogging.

Thus, leading me to this contraption.

Basically it is a magnifying glass on a flex arm. My intention is for Macro Only dives but it may work ok with the wide angle.

It works ok on land and I need to get it in the water. Makes the screen feel like a five inch screen.

The magnifying glass also comes in handy when looking for super macro critters.

I hope it is not too clumsy underwater. Will be in the water next weekend.

Great idea! What magnification is it and where did you purchase the flex-arm?

Thanks

JCAT, I have since replaced the flex arms to 1/2" loc lines which hold firmer and more consistent from segment to segment.
The one in the picture above is adopted from a ''gorilla pod'' tripod knock-off $3 from a local store. It did not drain well and the segments were inconsistent in their friction-fit that it prompted me to get loc lines.

The magnifier is 4-inch in dia. I just cut-off the handle, inserted it in the top segment and drilled a hole across the segment and handle. Nut and bolt through both tops segment and screw. Stainless steel of course.

The magnifier is with me on every dive now and I have since removed the stick-on bifocals off my mask since those were always fogging towards the end of a long dive.

JCAT, I have since replaced the flex arms to 1/2" loc lines which hold firmer and more consistent from segment to segment.

The magnifier is with me on every dive now and I have since removed the stick-on bifocals off my mask since those were always fogging towards the end of a long dive.

I was going the other way, by hanging a flip-up magnifier off the top of my mask. Not very workable and looks geeky.

I have prescription bifocals in my mask, but my vision has changed, and I end up holding the camera at arms length to see.

Like your idea better.

Thanks for the info!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom