contemplating mounting my Gopro to my can light??? thaughts please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travis B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i just recently purchased a gopro and am wondering if anyone has mounted to there can light,, or if its a good idea?? too close to the light?i figure i usually keep my hand pretty steady but i do make signals with it aswell? please give me feedback from experienced divers.

i just recently purchased a gopro and am wondering if anyone has mounted to there can light,, or if its a good idea?? too close to the light?i figure i usually keep my hand pretty steady but i do make signals with it aswell? please give me feedback from experienced divers.

If you want good video, you need well difused light, lots of it...and you need a stable platform to attach the goPro to. As tiny as it is, you will find it hard not to shoot video that bounces around on the screen, from every time you crack your wrist, or any push from eddies or currents.
Mounting the go pro on a long barrel or a couple of feet of pvc pipe, could give it a much higher polar moment of inertia....

To make my videos better with my much larger Canon 5 d in Aquatica housing, I have it mounted to big Gavin scooter....the improvement was "shocking".

Why don't you take some zip-ties and try it out? I'd suspect you're going to get a lot of backscatter, but heck, its worth a shot.

ok thank you for the input,, i wont have time to try it before my dives as i just recieved it and am going on a trip tomorrie,, i hope the pics and vid turn out either way

I got a Go-Pro ball mount from Blue Water Photography (Bluewater Photo, Video & Underwater Cameras) and have a light on a ball mount that I attach to the GoPro with an extended ball clamp (all purchased from Blue Water Photo) and the system works great! It's a little shaky if I don't hold my arm still, but the great thing about this setup is I can adjust the angle of the light or the GoPro at will and make for different lighting effects and it doesn't create backscatter because the light is far enough removed from the GoPro.

photo1.jpgphoto2.jpgphoto3.jpgphoto4.jpgphoto5.jpg

Here are some shots of my setup. I put the GoPro in upside down mode and shoot with light on top, but you could have the light on the bottom for a different effect too I guess. I use the clamp as my handle and the size of the whole set-up adds to stability while filming. I'd post some examples, but my computer at home is having a mid-life crisis at the moment...

That Light and Motion light must have cost more than the Go-Pro

That Light and Motion light must have cost more than the Go-Pro

Yes, but I use it for other things too so it's not a single purpose light...works great though! I got this idea from an insta-buddy who had milled his own connector for this light and his go-pro out of aluminum. The difference here is I can adjust the angle of the light or camera as I see fit, his was permanent...

I tried to post some video I took, but the link is not working...sorry.

thanks for the pics,, i will loook them up,, i found that my light was to close to the camera,, a freind mentioned placing a white plastic bag over the light ,, a cheap fix for difusing the light,, i will try that next dive and seee how it looks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom