Another new guy asking about cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

40xb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I have been searching around the forum looking for as much info as I can before posting and looking stupid. I read the articles that were stickied and read the other posts in there giving advice about shutter speed and color background and "freezing" faster moving fish and such. I also saw a post from a re-seller that had questions to help. So I thought I would answer them, give a blurb about what I would like to do, post what I am thinking of purchasing. Then letting you all give good or bad feedback and suggestions.

1) How long have you been diving? (11 years)

2) How many dives have you logged? (25)

3) How much experience with general photography do you have? (General use of 35mm and General use of digital cameras. My wife has a minor in photography and is decent at it.)

4) Do you currently have a camera? Film? Digital? (2 Digitals)

5) How often do you dive? (Vacation diver, so 2 times every 2-3 years. hopefully more in the future)

6) What type of diving do you mostly do? (Coral/reef/open water diving)

7) Where do you do most of your diving? (Caribbean)

8) What do you think you may want to photograph *and video* the most? (Fish/Coral. I like to get real close without touching or bothering)

9) Do you have an idea what you may want already? (Yes Sealife DC 1400)

10) How much do you expect to spend? Can you afford? ($1200 max)

I realize that new guys want the newest and coolest stuff and may not know how to use it extremely well. I like electronics and photography and have wanted to do U/W photography since I first got certified. My wife is very knowledgeable about photography as she has a minor in it from college. She is active in picture taking and is willing to help me learn. I am willing to learn and try things out.

I can control my buoyancy fairly well. I can control my vertical movements with my breaths hardly ever needing to use my arms or hands. My BCD is integrated weight so I am decently balanced with out stuff hanging off. I use a simple SPG (depth, air pressure, direction)

One thought was to buy a decent set up now and not have to buy one in the future. Try to keep this one for as long as I can. I realize I will not be a professional so I know I don't need a $3000 camera and a $2500 housing. I want to be able to take nice pics and video so I could share with my family and have a nice album for memories. I am not afraid to go diving and not have a good picture the first time out, but I am willing to try and keep at it.

I was thinking of this set up SeaLife DC1400 Pro Duo (#SL726) | Bluewater Photo & Video

It might be a lot for a new person now but I would rather buy once than buy a lower model and then buy a second one or more in 5 years.

Any suggestions would be great and much appreciated.

I don't have any experience with those particular components, but having started underwater photography with a similar-looking setup (one strobe and one light) and eventually upgrading, I would suggest you consider a two-strobe setup. The other "must-have" feature in my book is manual camera settings, which this camera appears to have.

If you haven't spoken with the BlueWater Photo guys already, I recommend it; they're very helpful and knowledgable.

I am not a fan of the sealife hardware, no offense but it seems cheaply built. If you looking for something that you will get your money out of both in and out of the water look at the Olympus PEN. It has been a favorite of Kathy Church, and if I was not already shooting with a Canon 50d in a Sea and Sea housing it would be my next choice..

I am not a fan of the sealife hardware, no offense but it seems cheaply built. If you looking for something that you will get your money out of both in and out of the water look at the Olympus PEN. It has been a favorite of Kathy Church, and if I was not already shooting with a Canon 50d in a Sea and Sea housing it would be my next choice..

No offense taken. Im not a stockholder. LOL. I just saw a affordable priced kit and looked.

As for the Olympus PEN. Are you talking E-P3, E-PL3. E-P2. E-PL2?

I don't have any experience with those particular components, but having started underwater photography with a similar-looking setup (one strobe and one light) and eventually upgrading, I would suggest you consider a two-strobe setup. The other "must-have" feature in my book is manual camera settings, which this camera appears to have.

If you haven't spoken with the BlueWater Photo guys already, I recommend it; they're very helpful and knowledgable.

Can you elaborate on why the 2 strobe would be more beneficial?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
A pen camera is good if you want to use it for under and above water. These sealife cameras are specifically made so that it has all the useful features for underwater use. Plus it has big buttons, good for phat fingers and/or for when wearing gloves. It doesn't over complicate people with tons of buttons and dials. But if you want to have 1 camera for both use, this camera would be sorely lacking.

Even so, the price is pretty steep for a cheap p&s camera in a waterproof housing.

Hi 40xb - I have been diving for 36 years and have been taking photos for the past 5 years only with a P&S everything you read will be good and bad regardless of how good the camera is. The best rule I was told when I was so disappointed with the camera I was told would blow my socks from a company that only sold underwater equipment. Learn to use the equipment you have and find out what is the best way to take a photo with it. That statement changed what I thought I could do with a camera. The camera was a Fuji F50fd recently flooded - I used a 165mm Inon macro lens with it and I managed to take some great shots. I now have the DC1400, which I have only managed to use 4 times because of a problem with the shutter button. As far as cost goes I think the DC1400 Pro Duo is possibly the best buy in the market place. My other choice would have been the Canon G12, but by the time you set it up with strobes and lenses it is very expensive especially if you are a part time diver. I dive every weekend I do around 80 dives a year and my photography knowledge is very sad when I read the info my eyes glaze over and I just struggle with all the settings, but practice helps. Attached is a link to my Flickr site the last few photos are from my Dc1400 - before I sent the housing away. The shots are great but they did start to improve once I learnt to adjust the strobe which is fully manual and or auto but does need the Diffuser and I will be purchasing the video light Flickr: billunder's Photostream
Good luck with your choice and start diving more

Cheers

Hi 40xb - I have been diving for 36 years and have been taking photos for the past 5 years only with a P&S everything you read will be good and bad regardless of how good the camera is. The best rule I was told when I was so disappointed with the camera I was told would blow my socks from a company that only sold underwater equipment. Learn to use the equipment you have and find out what is the best way to take a photo with it. That statement changed what I thought I could do with a camera. The camera was a Fuji F50fd recently flooded - I used a 165mm Inon macro lens with it and I managed to take some great shots. I now have the DC1400, which I have only managed to use 4 times because of a problem with the shutter button. As far as cost goes I think the DC1400 Pro Duo is possibly the best buy in the market place. My other choice would have been the Canon G12, but by the time you set it up with strobes and lenses it is very expensive especially if you are a part time diver. I dive every weekend I do around 80 dives a year and my photography knowledge is very sad when I read the info my eyes glaze over and I just struggle with all the settings, but practice helps. Attached is a link to my Flickr site the last few photos are from my Dc1400 - before I sent the housing away. The shots are great but they did start to improve once I learnt to adjust the strobe which is fully manual and or auto but does need the Diffuser and I will be purchasing the video light Flickr: billunder's Photostream
Good luck with your choice and start diving more

Cheers

Thank you for the input. I currently don't have a camera I could even use. Of the two digital cameras we have one doesn't work all the time and the other belongs to my wife. She would probably beat me if I even thought of taking it under water.

I looked at the Canon G12. It would seem that I can find the camera for around $400 +/- and I can find a housing kit between $180-$220 pending on included accessories. Putting on a external strobe would probably be around another $500 or so pending on the model. That would put me at $1120 without tax or shipping. That is right around the same price as the Sealife DC1400 package.

I guess the questions that come to mind for me to answer and find out are:
What is the differences between the two cameras?
Is being able to use it on land important?
Will building a set up be do-able for me as a person with no experience?
Will the total costs be equivalent or close?

If you look at the pen stick with the E-P3 or E-P2, you will notice that pretty soon it will be hard to find a housing for the E-P2. Going with two strobes will give you a wider area lit area as well as the ability to selectively fill in some of the shadows.

If you look at the pen stick with the E-P3 or E-P2, you will notice that pretty soon it will be hard to find a housing for the E-P2. Going with two strobes will give you a wider area lit area as well as the ability to selectively fill in some of the shadows.

Thank you.

I think to get an added light other than stock on the camera I wont be able to afford a PEN. Its just a bit more than what I can afford in terms of having a light along with it.

Back
Top Bottom