A little help with white balance please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coll

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I've just purchased a new camera, the Canon Elph 300 HS and I love it. The only issue I've encountered is that with the one button recording, I have no way to set a white balance for my underwater videos. Has anyone else encountered this with their cameras? I'm guessing that about 20 feet or so it won't be a problem but will it ruin my videos at depth? Please help! I love the camera but don't want to sacrifice good underwater video. Thanks as always and happy diving!

If you are using lights for your video then it will not make much difference at depth since you have balanced the light correctly. If you don't have lights there will not be much you can do to get appropriate whites.
Bill

I am not sure I understand but the IXUS 220 HS or ELPH300 should allow the manual white balance
Reading the instruction you see at page 192 that manual white balance is allowed when shooting movies?

Interceptor, I looked and didn't see what you are referring to, do you have any more information or know what it says?

I don't have this camera but in every canon manual there is a matrix where it says which function can be accessed in which mode
If you look at the combination movie and manual white balance there is a dot this means it is supported
So if you put the dial in movie mode what can you access once you hit function before starting shooting a clip?

There is no "movie mode", it's a single button that once pushed immediately begins recording. I don't think the camera has white balance for movies which really bums me out!

from flareside in this thread (post #19) - it may not be accessible via one button recording because as the name suggests, one button recording is one button - setting white balance will require more button pressing. But maybe you can do this and then use one button, you'll need to try.
On 300HS:
Press Func Set
Toggle up to WB
Toggle right
Toggle down to manual WB
Press MENU while pointed at a white surface
Press Func Set
Push red button to start video.

Alcina, saw that on my other desperate plea of a post :) I'm so relieved! I love this camera! I could have sworn I already tried that but I must not have hit Function Set after applying the balance. How embarassing! Thanks for your help as always though!

I'm looking at purchasing the elph 300hs and ikelite housing. What housing do you use and are you getting quality pics/video without any external devices? As a newbie, I'm not ready to spend 1000s on underwater photography gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom