Beginners Scuba Camera/Housing Case Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HeelsDive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi everyone! We are headed to Belize next week for a few weeks and will be attempting to attain our scuba certification while we are there! I am super excited about this, but have probably read too many of the posts on the New Divers Forums Re: Sharks - those made me more nervous than I was to begin with!

Anyway - I am trying to quickly decide today on which camera option I should purchase - here's the deal: I want to buy something that is durable, small and takes pretty decent photos for first time divers who are not looking for professional photography at this point - we just want to get used to diving first really.

I also would like to stay under the $300 price range if possible, and we also REALLY need a camera that is water proof and durable for other activities like hiking, snorkeling, cave tubing, etc.

So far on my research I have seen talk on the SeaLife Mini 2.0 (not the BEST reviews, but doesn't need a dive case), and also the Olympus Tough. I'm down to making a decision on these two, unless there's something else highly recommended?

Can anyone recommend one of these, or something different that would really address my needs? Also with the Olympus - I would need a case, so any recommendations on that would be great. And I think I need several other accessories too, based on other forums (batteries, charger, wrist strap, something to prevent fogging?)

We currently own a Sony A330, and we love it, and have added on zoom lenses for a safari we took last year, but we want something a bit more durable that can withstand dust/water/elements when we are out and about.

Any suggestions are much appreciated, I think I am at the point of information overload where I cannot decide since I have read too many posts about cameras.

this might be a good option for you, depending on how deep you want to dive, its good to 33ft
i own the GPS version but i haven't taken it diving yet, on land though is awesome

Pentax Optio WG-1 & WG-1 GPS

Welcome to scubaboard and scuba diving. You will not regret Getting into diving, as to your question I would check out the GoPro Hero 2 HD. Now should you consider this option you will also want to consider an upgraded flat lens such as the one found on backscatter dot com. The upgraded lens is only needed for underwater use. All said and done this option is outside your price point but this camera has many more uses out side of the water as well. I hope this helps, good luck and welcome.

Scubafrog

Thanks everyone! I actually DID go with the Go Pro Hero 2 HD - the outdoor package with the housing and flat lens were all 300 on the makospearguns site, so it was a pretty good deal and I kept reading outstanding reviews on this camera. It's already shipped too! Thanks

will be attempting to attain our scuba certification while we are there
I would gently suggest that you leave the GoPro in your room during your certification dives. Or strap it to your BC and let it run the whole time.

I'm fairly certain your instructor will also. You'll have enough task loading just doing the dives without the added complexity of trying to film. Most of the certification drills you'll do require the use of both hands also.

Don't believe everything you read about sharks either. In the first place you mostly only read about exciting - and near death - at least in the mind of the poster - encounters. I've dove with them yearly (I film them) for about the last six years. It's been my experience that most sharks will try to leave when they see you first - often you'll never even see one nearby - or may casually approach for a closer look.

Notice that this one is leaving - I have a lot of shots/video of the back of sharks doing just that...lol.

filming.jpg

The size of most of reef sharks you'll see in Belize - if you see any - will be too small for them to look at you as a threat - or food source. Last year in Turks/Caicos I dropped in on top of one off our boat. Didn't hit him but pretty close - another diver commented on it later. The shark was more frightened than I was - took off in a hurry...

Of course there are exceptions to every rule. If you see a shark that appears agitated - or in aggressive attack position - hunched forward with his fins pointed unnaturally forward - it's best to leave the area. In several dozen dives with sharks I have yet to see one exhibit that behavior - even when I annoy them like this - there's no zoom on this shot - I really am about 4-5' away - the shark was about 6-7' long iirc:

shark2.jpg

Notice that his fins are swept back as he's in a completely non-aggressive cruise position.

Once you've seen a shark, how gracefully they move, and how in tune they are with their environment, most of your fears will disappear. It's really an excellent experience.

Last edited:
imho stay away from the Olympus cameras - they are slow to focus, miss focus a lot and the image quality is meh.

I've been using the Panasonic TS3 and it's fabulous. Can't believe how much I'm loving this little guy. There's a newer TS4 out but nothing I've seen would make me spend the extra dollars for it, personally.
APR12_210kja.jpg

Enjoy your diving and your new toys :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom