How long can I keep my housing sealed without affecting the o-rings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheDeuce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey!

OK, I'm going to be doing some local diving this weekend and the lake we're heading to is remote to say the least (2-3 hours of 4x4ing down the treacherous trails). Since services will be non-existent out there, I want to keep things as simple as possible with my Rebel XTi / Ikelite setup.

Ideally, I want to get everything ready in the comfort and cleanliness of my home, seal up the rig, and keep it sealed until we get back. That would mean 36 hours or so of full-time squeeze on the o-rings. I know not to keep the rings compressed for long-term storage but I don't know what 'long-term' is defined as.

Any thoughts?

m.

I've an oversized slr and often don't even open the housing for 3-4 days. After 7 years, I've not encountered any problems, and have only had the housing services once or possibly twice.
I really wouldn't be concerned about it.

I normally don't leave things sealed long, but I doubt a few days would hurt it. Look at lights for instance. I have had a issue once and that is when my AquaVideo housing got sealed unknown to me for a few months. The orings were flattened.

Same answers you got on Wetpixel. The o-rings you have in the buttons stay compressed for years, a few days won't hurt at all.
Bill

Ive left my canon case for my point and shoot sealed for over a year and it still functioned perfectly fine.

Thx all. I'm prepping right now and appreciate the responses (both here and at WP).

m.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom