Photo shop 6 or new elements.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merchant

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
so i finally got my self a new updated camera dc1400 upgraded from an old 4mp Olympus in a housing w out a strobe. i was able to dig up and install my old Photoshop 6.01 with i haven't used in well 5+ years so ive forgotten mostly how to use it. was wondering is it worth it to relearn such an old software or should i just go with a new version of elements there really been much improvement?

i started messing with Photoshop been a while, i started by making color corrections. and adjusting things , using built in tools then auto filters.
first photo is original, 2ND is using Chanel mixer to correct red 3rd is using layers to merge red into the original and then using a exposure filter. which do you think looks best? , cam used was a d580 in a housing no strobe 4 mp cam.
i can hardly wait to see what i can get out of a better camera with a strobe.

P9010329.JPG
orginal
P9010329%2520in%2520progress.JPG
cropped then used Chanel mixer to steal from green and add to red then adjusted the levels then added a hue and sat layer and played with multiply and fineally used a skin smother.
P9010329%2520in%2520progress2.JPG
don't know why this one came out purplish.....created 3 layers used fil and merged teem to correct colors.
16.JPG
original
16%2520after.jpg
Manuel adjustment only no other filters or plugins.
16%2520after2.jpg
used layers and fill...

Last edited:
You'll have a lot more control with the old 6. A lot of Elements is standard menu driven options so it might not do what you want.

I don't use PS much but I still do fine with 7. In case you don't already have it - I've attached an underwater filter to this post, it "Brings back the Reds"

I may not see this thread again so PM me if it didn't work and I'll e-mail it to you. I never tried attaching that file type to a post before.

You can download a trial version of Elements before you buy it. Adobe - Download free trial version Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 | Adobe

Attachments

• Underwater.zip
    43.8 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: Jax
thanks for the filter, i actually lucked out. i work for a large corp in the it dept, and i found on the network in our run advertised programs a few gems...... Photoshop cs3 extended (Photoshop 11) and elements 9 primer? ( the move version) any way thanks ill give that filter a try and see how it works out. and i poled around the new elements , don't like it was to diffident from the tools i used to use.......

I still use Photoshop 6.01. Bought Photoshop and Premiere Elements 10 and think they both suck big time. Only benefit I've derived from either of them is that Premoere Elementys 10 handles the MOV files from my Canon SD-940IS far better than my usual editing software, Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum ver 10 (which is far better than the Adobe product on almost everything else). I think Adobe has lost its leadership edge over the past few years.

Lightroom/Aperture are your best bets now.
Bill

Photoshop is ok. i don't like elements at all., i got CS3 from work. the filter above locks up Photoshop on my 2 AMD systems but works just fine on my Intel i5 laptop. wow way faster than Manuel editing each pic.

than you thank you thank you! still haven't figured out how to get light-room ruing. is that an add on ? been too long since i used Photoshop but it starting to come back to me .... and wow im loving the dc1400 i got only thing missing is raw mode. , finally figured out how super macro mode works and focus. my old cam was point and shoot this thing is sweet in comparison.

lightroom quick search ists a separate product. back to the network source folder see if i can find it .....

If you are only processing images for color correction and want to make minor adjustments like spot removals. Lightroom or aperture is the way to go.

If you are doing large manipulations like completely cutting fish off the background or changing the size of a shark in the image so you can scare your relatives then you need photoshop.
100% of my photos go into Lightroom for processing, cataloging and archiving. About 5% of those go into photoshop for further manipulation. This manipulation usually involves removing unwanted elements or people from the photos.

You really need to look into Lightroom or aperture before you spend money on photoshop. There are a lot of videos online showing Lightroom workflows. In general Lightroom is more used by PC users and Aperture is for Mac users.

Another benefit to Lightroom is you can connect. It to Flickr, Facebook, smugmug, 500px to easily upload albums to the web. It will do all the scaling and watermarking of the images automatically and will include your tags, titles and description in the upload.

thanks everyone. im likeing lightroom lot. who know i had 4456 photos wow, finding lots of training video's for using both light room and Photoshop.

and yep i know I've got a lot to learn and relearn.

Back
Top Bottom