2500k camera, housing, strobe what my best option

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi folks
I have about 2500 dollars to spend on a decent underwater camera set up. I have been taking photos for over 25 years, but always on land, currently I have a DSLR Nikon D80 and 9 lens. So I know my way around a camera. But I am not looking far a DSLR set up as it is too large for me. Most of my photos will be macro, as I dive in poor visibility. I want good quality pictures and maybe video function.
Maybe A high end compact camera or a 4/3 with a ikelite housing and flash, any suggestion guy, thanks Nick

You are on the edge of a fully loaded compact system or a paired down M43. Remember Ikelite has decided not to make housings for the 4/3 mirrorless class of cameras.

The following are some 4/3 packages to give you some perspective. The Olympus E-PM1 might work if the $2500 includes the camera. To keep costs down we have found the 14-42mm kit lenses do fair macro when paired with good diopters.
http://opticaloceansales.com/underwater-camera-housing-packages/mirrorless-systems

For Compacts the Canon S100, Sony RX100 are very popular. With your budget you could do additional macro or wide wet lenses and/or maybe upgrade/add a second strobe. FYI Ikelite has announced a housing for the Sony RX100 around $400.
System Packages :: Compact Systems -

Your best bet may be a used micro 4/3 system. There are quite a few nice systems for sale both here and on Wetpixel. Great bang for the buck right now for folks buying u4/3 systems since a lot of folks have recently upgraded.
Bill

Nick,

If you go to Wet Pixel classifieds, you might find a used D80 housing. If you are shooting macro, all you need is a housing, strobes, and a macro port. So it will be bigger but not that big. The D80 would be a decent camera to use or the D90. You might also find a used housing at the websites for Backscatter or Reef Photo. Of course, the thing will still be quite a bit larger a mirrorless camera. It is a thought. Of course, you might not want to lug around that much gear.

Pat

Hi Nick,

I don't know if you have already pulled the plug...

I second the above suggestions regarding micro 4/3. I am planning the following rig:

Olympus E-PL5 (IQ as good as a nikon D90 or Canon 650D!)
9-18mm, 14-42mm
45mm+raynox 150 macro converter (this with a question mark, only if it fits the Zen WA100 semidome)

Housing: waiting for a nauty or 10bar housing (I need the gear earliest in Aug 2013...) worst case: Olympus PT-EP10.
Port: one single semidome for 9-18&14-42
Strobes: one 2nd hand YS60 or similar.

Total costs: around 2500$, just as your setup.

Hi folks
I have about 2500 dollars to spend on a decent underwater camera set up. I have been taking photos for over 25 years, but always on land, currently I have a DSLR Nikon D80 and 9 lens. So I know my way around a camera. But I am not looking far a DSLR set up as it is too large for me. Most of my photos will be macro, as I dive in poor visibility. I want good quality pictures and maybe video function.
Maybe A high end compact camera or a 4/3 with a ikelite housing and flash, any suggestion guy, thanks Nick

Back
Top Bottom