Adjusted settings for a 2nd strobe with lower guide number?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vigfus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I'm only doing macro photography using a G11 with one or two macro lenses. I recently bought a YS-D1 and already had a S-2000. They have different guide numbers, which I have read can be used to prevent flat images. What I haven't been able to find is a good suggestion as to how much difference in output one should aim for. Do you have experience from using a similar setup or have some links where I can read about it?

Best Regards,
Vigfus

It would get complicated with 2 different strobes, especially with different brands. Their total GN output is due to total flash duration along with flash brightness. Your camera's pre-flash and its max duration will determine what proportion of light will come from each strobe. You just have to shoot test images and adjust the +/- balance on one of the strobe until they are roughly equal.

As for how it works for all exposure range, it might change, since each one will operate with its own algorithm to simulate TTL.

Thanks for input Lwang!

Best Regards,
Vigfus

The differences in output at a given setting (f-stop on the strobe dial) have nothing to do with the GN of the strobe. Assuming you are shooting in manual mode (both camera and strobes) with two cables (one to each strobe), I would start with the D1 on the left side (most right eyed people prefer photos with shadows on the right side of the subject) and the S2000 on the right. If you are at 1/200 sec and f16 then I would set the D1 to the 0.7 setting and the s2000 to -2 and go from there. You can move the strobes a bit closer/farther to fine tune the system but that should get you started.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom