Float blocks that mount to the tray?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reisender

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone make a float block that can be mounted to the bottom of the tray? I'm looking for something similar to the Stix float blocks for arms, but in more of a rectangular shape that I can attach to the bottom of the tray.

Thanks.

I could be wrong here, but, if you mount "flotation" to the bottom of your tray, your rig is going to constantly want to be turning itself upside down. You will be "fighting" your rig, and causing strain & fatigue in the the arms and wrist. Can you elaborate more on what your rig consist of ? Stix are a great solution FWIW :)

You can adapt Stix floats
About « Interceptor121 Underwater Video
You only need to increase a bit the width
The flipping issue is not a problem if you balance separately camera and tray and arms
In my case housing+tray and handle=400 grams floats 380 grams still a bit negative add lenses another 250 negative no major issue of rotation

good info

I could be wrong here, but, if you mount "flotation" to the bottom of your tray, your rig is going to constantly want to be turning itself upside down. You will be "fighting" your rig, and causing strain & fatigue in the the arms and wrist. Can you elaborate more on what your rig consist of ? Stix are a great solution FWIW :)

The rig is a Nauticam housing with two S&S 110a strobes and a Sola focus light.

I've already got Stix blocks on the arms, but the rig is still a bit more negative than I want. I'd like it as close to neutral as I can get. I should still have more buoyancy at the top (the Stix blocks) near the strobes than at the tray so I don't think I'll have to fight it. I'm just trying to make a more balanced rig.

---------- Post added January 12th, 2013 at 03:21 PM ----------

You can adapt Stix floats
About « Interceptor121 Underwater Video
You only need to increase a bit the width
The flipping issue is not a problem if you balance separately camera and tray and arms
In my case housing+tray and handle=400 grams floats 380 grams still a bit negative add lenses another 250 negative no major issue of rotation

That's an interesting solution. I'll have to experiment with that. Thanks.

---------- Post added January 12th, 2013 at 03:24 PM ----------

I just made some floats out of incompressible PVC foam. Check out post 104 in my thread for details:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gopro-video/425784-my-gopro-3d-setup-11.html

Great info. I'll see if I can get my hands on some of that foam.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom