Moving up to DSLR??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BeeRayMac

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok folks, I have been taking my photos with an OLD Sea & Sea point & shoot with dual strobes. I have been curious about taking my wifes' DSLR for a try but dont really understand how you protect the lens. I have priced the housing for the camera (WOW:shocked2:) but I am at a loss regarding the lens.

I assume you would use your same lenses as when on land? If so, how do you waterproof them? Is it unheard of to use a 100-400mm zoom lens for underwater photos?

Any help that would assist me in making this upgrade would be greatly appreciated

When you buy a "housing" for a DSLR you really are buying two parts. The housing is the box the camera body goes in. Then you need to buy Ports, these attach to the front of the housing and enclose the lens, making a water proof unit. There are flat ports and dome ports. Flat ports are typically used with Macro lens like the 60mm or 105mm. Dome ports are used for wide angle lens like 17-70mm or a 10-17mm. The cost of a single port can range from $500-$1900 depending on the camera lens being used.

Not all lenses can be used underwater best you talk to a reputable dealer (www.opticaloceansales.com) :wink: and they can help pick the best lenses for your camera and budget. Your 100-400mm zoom is a good example of a lens you typically would NOT want to use underwater. In general we want lenses that let us get close to the subject, we want to cut down as much as possible the water between us and the subject. Hope that helps.

OP -- taking pictures underwater tend to be of two types -- macro or wide angle and the reasons are pretty simple, lots of small pretty things to see and visibility degrades pretty fast especially compared to the surface. Just for that reason, I would guess the 100-400 mm lens would have very limited UW suitability, if any (if it had a macro setting, perhaps).

BUT, while there are hundreds of lenses out there, you are going to have a somewhat limited choice of lenses that are compatible with a specific housing/port -- that is, if you want to use that zoom feature or that manual focus.

Rather than get a housing, and perhaps new lenses, for your wife's DSLR, you might look at getting a complete new setup for UW (I'm still convinced the Adorama special on the Olympus E-PL1 with housing at $399 is an absolute steal) which might be cheaper in both the short and long run.

You might want to consider a DSLR other than what your wife has. Housings for some DSLR's may cost considerably less than a housing for her camera. You might try to chose something her lenses will fit

The Adorama deal is really a great price. I use an E-PL1 and it is a very capable camera.

Thanks for those details! I really wasn't sure how the lens would work as my only UW camera is a complete set up point & shoot with wide angle lens. Perhaps I will stay with the point & shoot but maybe upgrade to one of the suggestions made here. Hopefully I can find one that will accept my existing tray/arms/strobes.

Its only a matter of $$$...haha. Thanks again!

What DSLR does your wife have?

Check what housings are available for it

A whole new ball game from a point and shoot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom