GoPro Hero2 Red Filter Advice Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buckyblue920

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
After returning from Grand Cayman recently, I was disheartened to see more "green" photos then full spectrum. I'm not expecting high end quality photos, but I thought with a photo snapping every 2 seconds I'd get a few descent shots. The photos on either end were taken with a red Polar Pro filter attached. Anchor near Sunset Reef at 20', and the USS Kittiwake at 60'. The middle shots were taken with the red filter off at 20-24'. Did I misunderstand that a red filter should have looked like the photos centered? I only thought of taking off the filter midway into the dives, but regret not doing it sooner. Any tips or advice? Thanks

Grand Cayman 2013 GoPro 255.jpgGrand Cayman 2013 GoPro 341.jpgGrand Cayman 2013 GoPro 531.jpgGrand Cayman 2013 GoPro 883.jpg

For green waters you want a magenta colored filter if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure some one will correct me if I'm wrong. My understanding is that there also only good for med to close ranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Does not make sense. The anchor is a shot taken without filter I think you are making confusion otherwise the deeper shot at 60' won't be looking better

The anchor and Kittiwake photos are both with filter attached. The two reef shots are without filter.

shoot video in protune white balance and take frames from the video

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

Having been on the Kittiwake in June, my experience says that there is too much light as the wreck is too shallow. I took my GoPro Hero2 without any filters and I was way down inside the wreck and even the ambient light that was filtering in was washing out the pics and video.

Since it's such a shallow wreck and you have plenty of light, you shouldn't need a red filter at all. The top of the wheelhouse is in like 15-18' of water and it's 65' or so to the sand. This is one of my gripes about using the GP as a dive camera, there's no adjustments that you can make on the fly while diving. It's just point, shoot and go.

2-4 look like the filter is on. The anchor looks like it is off.

What brand filter, by the way?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom